Reading.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Zanelad

Guru
I tend to go through phases when reading. At times I'll have me head in a book or the Kindle all the time, then I'll go for a month or two without as much as turning a page. I tend to stick with authors I know and enjoy. Currently working my way through the Peter James Inspector Grace stories. I should have read them in sequence, but it's a bit late for that.

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
I tend to go through phases when reading. At times I'll have me head in a book or the Kindle all the time, then I'll go for a month or two without as much as turning a page. I tend to stick with authors I know and enjoy. Currently working my way through the Peter James Inspector Grace stories. I should have read them in sequence, but it's a bit late for that.
I very rarely manage to read anything in order. Mainly I buy from charity shops or borrow from the library so it's what's available at the time. I am working through Lee Child in order as the second hand Kobo I bought had most of them already loaded and I've bought the others as I spotted them.

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
@Yellow Fang asked ''Any other good ones ?
The Cruel Sea by Nicholas Montserrat is a must read....
I have watched the film. It was an odd sort of a film. I assume it's very realistic. These days it seems odd to me that we made films about such a bitter war which at that time was still so recent. Not that some of them aren't great films.

Zanelad

Guru
If you like Roy Grace/Peter James have you also tried Alan Banks/Peter Robinson? One of my favourite "police procedural" series.

Thanks Anne. I'll download a sample or two on the Kindle and see how I get on.

Update....what the hell, for 99p I bought the first of the Alan Banks novels. I'll read the others in order if I like his style of writing. I'm off for a cuppa and a read. I may be some time.......

Last edited:

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
I envy you the chance to read them from the beginning. 99p is less than I pay for charity shop copies :laugh:

Zanelad

Guru
The first one was 99p. Somehow I think that the more recent ones will be more expensive. I'm enjoying the first book. Time will tell, but the signs are good.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
The last three books I finished on Kindle are Borstal Boy by Brendan Behan, The Opium War by Julia Lovell, and The Last Broomsquire by Martin Hesp (he's a local author and it's fiction based on real-life Quantock characters). I have a small pile of real & virtual books lined up.

normgow

Guru
For seafaring books I suggest "The Last Grain Race" by Eric Newby. In 1938 he signed on as an eighteen year old apprentice and sailed to Australia on a four-masted barque in the last days of the great sailing freighters.

Top Bottom