Ready to start!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I'm sure it will be a good ride.
There is always a bit of snobbery about these types of events because the 'racers' get upset about people getting in their way when they are trying to 'race'. It's laughable because what these Strava queen's should actually be doing is strapping a number on their chests and signing up for a real race and then see how many people they can beat!
I've done several such events and enjoyed them enormously and never encountered too much of the so called appalling riding that is suggested. In fact I am likely to be doing two this year, the Manchester-Blackpool 60 mile and Manchester 100 mile a month or two later, probably with my son's. :okay:

OP
OP
LibraRider

LibraRider

I'm sure it will be a good ride.
There is always a bit of snobbery about these types of events because the 'racers' get upset about people getting in their way when they are trying to 'race'. It's laughable because what these Strava queen's should actually be doing is strapping a number on their chests and signing up for a real race and then see how many people they can beat!
I've done several such events and enjoyed them enormously and never encountered too much of the so called appalling riding that is suggested. In fact I am likely to be doing two this year, the Manchester-Blackpool 60 mile and Manchester 100 mile a month or two later, probably with my son's. :okay:
Ahh I’m probably going to be at the back anyway so they won’t have to worry about me being in the way haha!
Maybe if I enjoy this one I’ll do more too! I’m pretty sure I’m going to get into this cycling thing! Already thinking about getting a road bike soon so I can get used to riding that.

OP
OP
LibraRider

LibraRider

Yeah, I think I’ll pass. The locals have already started a pitchforky petition to get it cancelled or moved, or have the route changed. This mob really aren’t very good at getting their events right.
Last year - people we’re driving at the riders near Longbridge. I think someone got knocked off by a car and one of the volunteers got run over. 🙄

CXRAndy

Guru
Last year - people we’re driving at the riders near Longbridge. I think someone got knocked off by a car and one of the volunteers got run over. 🙄

I cant really fathom some folk, who willfully try injure a cyclist. These events raise money for local charities generally.

You would think seeing lots of types of riders would enthuse some who dont cycle to have a go

I did it in the first year ( the oil and nails all over the road edition). I swore I never would again, so far I’ve achieved that:laugh:

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Ahh I’m probably going to be at the back anyway so they won’t have to worry about me being in the way haha!
There is no real back as they mix up the abilities of the riders, so although you won't find yourself with those who are trying to 'win', you will be mixing up with faster and slower riders. I would suggest that you try to keep to the left when possible and get very good at shoulder checking. It is not quite the war zone as reported by some, but it is best to keep your wits about you. However, there are usually no cars to worry about.

OP
OP
LibraRider

LibraRider

10.8 MILES TODAY!!!!!

😆😆😆

Birmingham is so beautiful when you see it from your bike saddle rather than the car window!

Any tips on how I can get faster?
Gym based exercises you’d advise? Or should I just keep going for now?

Attachments

• 05C8419A-809E-4AB2-BF73-7899768DF6AE.png
    05C8419A-809E-4AB2-BF73-7899768DF6AE.png
    53.2 KB · Views: 9

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
10.8 MILES TODAY!!!!!

😆😆😆

Birmingham is so beautiful when you see it from your bike saddle rather than the car window!

Just keep riding for now. When first starting more riding will improve fitness at a fantastic rate.

10.8 MILES TODAY!!!!!

😆😆😆

Just ride more for now. It sounds like you’re getting into the swing of it. When you need to get quicker, there are a good few things you can do, but don’t worry too much about it right now

All uphill

Still rolling along
10.8 MILES TODAY!!!!!

😆😆😆

That's brilliant! Just keep enjoying it! Sounds like your fitness is improving already.

10.8 MILES TODAY!!!!!

😆😆😆

Just ride for now, and simply keep enjoying it. :smile:

But do remember that rest and recovery is as important as exercise. If you want to mix things up a bit, go for a nice brisk walk instead. It'll help with your overall fitness, it's load bearing (compared to cycling, which isn't) and it's far kinder on the knees and ankles than running. If you do want to make it harder, then get a backpack and wang a few tins of beans in. No need to worry about joining a gym. ;)

nickAKA

Über Member
10.8 MILES TODAY!!!!!

😆😆😆

Speed / pace comes with fitness & confidence - as everyone has suggested just keep going as you are, enjoying it, you will naturally become quicker (and more competitive :laugh:).

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
If you want to mix things up a bit, go for a nice brisk walk instead. It'll help with your overall fitness, it's load bearing (compared to cycling, which isn't) and it's far kinder on the knees and ankles than running. If you do want to make it harder, then get a backpack and wang a few tins of beans in. No need to worry about joining a gym. ;)

Or just get your food shopping on foot and carry it home, which is what I often do. Quite often, its just as quick as using a car or bus, plus its free and you get some exercise thrown in.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
10.8 MILES TODAY!!!!!

😆😆😆

Well done! Just keep it up and the miles will soon fly by....

Top Bottom