Ready to start!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
LibraRider

LibraRider

So I've made the decision this evening to sign up to 3 smaller sportive events around the west midlands to build up my mileage and get used to riding in a big group of people.

- Ride the Reservoir - March 15th - 16 miles
- Bostin' chase Sportive - April 26th - 40 miles
- Bostin' Bridge Sportive - May 17th - 60 miles

Hopefully that will help me get to the 100 mile goal in the velo

boydj

Legendary Member
It's good to have intermediate goals on your way to achieving your main goal. These will keep you motivated to get the miles in. By the middle of March the 16 miles should be easily achieved and give you a good idea of how your training is progressing.

CXRAndy

Guru
I remember that once I could ride around 30 miles without being totally knackered- which didn't take more than a few months to achieve. Everything after was just a case of more time, a bit more food and water.

Benefits are around 30 mile and above trips are cafe stops to replenish and chat with other riders who will arrive at said cafes too.

nickAKA

Über Member
I remember that once I could ride around 30 miles without being totally knackered- which didn't take more than a few months to achieve. Everything after was just a case of more time, a bit more food and water.

Benefits are around 30 mile and above trips are cafe stops to replenish and chat with other riders who will arrive at said cafes too.
Exactly this. I've never done a long ride (>30 miles) where I didn't stop at some point for a breather or a brew. It's different doing a short ride where you're looking to get the maximum training benefit, but that's where I'd normally resort to the turbo anyway. The road rides are generally done with company & for pleasure.

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
I'm doing the Ride the Reservoir 16 mile option too. See you there. I'll be with mini me.

Not done any of those rides, but they look fine, and in a nice part of the country. The Bostin Bridge one has a nasty climb at around 40 miles that will really test you, but in the worst case, you can always get off the bike and push it up the hill. You won't be the only one.

How are you on Bike Maintenance? There should be a few courses around, and some particularly for women. Birmingham Bike Foundry and Northfield Ecocentre are a couple of places to start.

Last edited:
OP
OP
LibraRider

LibraRider

I'm doing the Ride the Reservoir 16 mile option too. See you there. I'll be with mini me.

Not done any of those rides, but they look fine, and in a nice part of the country. The Bostin Bridge one has a nasty climb at around 40 miles that will really test you, but in the worst case, you can always get off the bike and push it up the hill. You won't be the only one.

How are you on Bike Maintenance? There should be a few courses around, and some particularly for women. Birmingham Bike Foundry and Northfield Ecocentre are a couple of places to start.

Ah nice one! I may indeed see you there then!

I’m hoping that by the time Bostin bridge comes up I will be able to cycle up half of it haha. Fingers crossed!

My maintenance - I’m clueless. Tend to rely on YouTube videos. I will get myself booked onto a course at some point though.

Looking at purchasing a triban 500 this weekend - then I’ll get booked in I think.

Also looking at joining a cycling club near me to get those extra miles in.

Just need to get over this rotten cold that came on Monday! 🤒

OP
OP
LibraRider

LibraRider

So im thinking of getting a road bike so I can adjust to the different gears and drop bars well ahead of the velo and my first sportive in March.

I have narrowed it down to 3 I think - that are within my price range ATM (second hand ones)

What are your thoughts on these?

B'twin Triban 500 - click

Carrera Zelos - click

Trek Madone 4.5 - click

They're a bit old - but remember I am just starting out. I will invest in a better more up-to-date beauty closer to june :smile:

All opinions and advice welcomed as usual

vickster

Legendary Member
What's your budget?

I can't imagine that the Trek you've linkedis available for the same price as the others if it's legit

What size road bike do you need? How tall. Are you? Inside leg measurement?

Milkfloat

An Peanut
As a serial bike buyer, even I would not consider a new bike now just to replace it with one very similar on a few months time. You could of course buy a winter bike now (cheapish components with good mudguards) and look for a summer bike later.

OP
OP
LibraRider

LibraRider

What's your budget?

I can't imagine that the Trek you've linkedis available for the same price as the others if it's legit

What size road bike do you need? How tall. Are you? Inside leg measurement?

It’s on eBay at £100 atm haha - hoping no one else bids on it 🤞

I’m 5ft 8 - so need a medium frame ideally - budget is below £200

nickyboy

Norven Mankey

The Trek will get bid up beyond your budget
If you can get a rideable Triban 500 in your budget I'd go with that. It'll be fine for all your sportives, no need to replace it for the time being. There are zillions out there so even if you don't buy the one you've got your eye on others will come along. Also the replacement parts are cheap for the same reason

vickster

Legendary Member

You're female I think? If buying a 'men's' bike, keep some budget aside for a decent women's saddle, possibly a shorter handlebar stem and some narrower drop bars + new tape (£75 or so should do it, less if get used parts)
Unless it's had parts replaced recently, I'd also budget for a new cassette, cables and chain (another £40 or so, plus labour unless you do yourself (in which case you might need some tools and a bike stand))

A M or 54cm frame would probably be ok.

So im thinking of getting a road bike so I can adjust to the different gears and drop bars well ahead of the velo and my first sportive in March.

I have narrowed it down to 3 I think - that are within my price range ATM (second hand ones)

What are your thoughts on these?

B'twin Triban 500 - click

Carrera Zelos - click

Trek Madone 4.5 - click

They're a bit old - but remember I am just starting out. I will invest in a better more up-to-date beauty closer to june :smile:

All opinions and advice welcomed as usual
The Triban is a very competent bike. It’s a pretty good bike to start off with. I bought a Triban 520 about 5 years ago, I’ve still got it, because it’s a doddle to upgrade the bits. It’s currently on a Shimano R7000 11 speed Groupset, and better wheels, and it has the measure of 3 grand rigs every day, which really irritates some people with 3 Grand rigs:laugh:

Last edited:
Top Bottom