Ready to start!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BigMeatball

Nobody is saying it is easy or physically undemanding, just that it doesn't count towards any real world mileage totals, either weekly, monthly or annual. It is still a worthwhile means of exercise and training for those that can't get out to ride or don't want to due to poor weather. I Aldi accept it could be even more effective than outdoors cycling for someone on an intensive structured training program that needs to target specific areas of their fitness.

100% agree with this view.

If we just look at the very name "smart trainer"...it's a trainer, that's its purpose, to train you and make you fitter and ready for a race. So I don't count the miles made on it towards my yearly total.

Definitely useful for athletes, that's why for example most professional triathletes spend a great chunk of time on their turbos and treadmills and now also they have these endless pools. I don't know what professional cyclists do but I suspect they do a combination of turbo training and open road cycling and it makes sense.

Since starting training for an event, even when the weather was fine I had to opt for indoor training because there are specific goals and targets to hit (wattage, heart rate and so on) that I just cannot hit out on the road.

For now I leave outdoor cycling for when I've got nothing better to do and want to get out of the house :laugh:

CXRAndy

Guru
I dont differentiate between indoor or outdoor, I could use just hours pedalled, no one would quibble the metric.

With accurate direct drive trainers, there ability to also record miles/km is available.

So seen as most folk use distance on strava as their metric, I do too.

Happy to follow the majority, with hours or miles

CXRAndy

Guru
No.

I don't track distance either, but I do record the time in a separate page on my mileage spreadsheet.
That's most likely the reason you dont stick at it.

My first experience was with a spin bike in the front room-watching tv. An hour was my maximum.

Once you add other riders, the experience changes, immersive. Then there is the racing, this is a massive part of Zwift.

Im taking part in a Danish race series currently, hard racing- the Danes are immensely strong cycling nation.

Zwift organise mega events where literally thousands of riders start an event, sort of racing sportive.

Kryton521

Über Member
Can't afford either zwift or the machines required. All through January I was mostly riding old fashioned rollers. And counted the mileage towards my total for the month.

I'd really like a better set of rollers. Make life easier[?] and quieter!

CXRAndy

Guru
Can't afford either zwift or the machines required. All through January I was mostly riding old fashioned rollers. And counted the mileage towards my total for the month.

I'd really like a better set of rollers. Make life easier[?] and quieter!

Fair do's :okay:

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
I bought myself an indoor smart trainer for training. Best thing I’ve done so far!
Just cycled 7 and a half miles in 45 mins!! 😆

Good for you. You can certainly get some high intensity in on a turbo in a small time window. Hard consistent efforts you’d never manage outside. Don’t neglect outdoor riding as well though. The two complement each other very well.

I tend to use the turbo this way. I get the short hard high intensity efforts done on the turbo then I get the long miles done outside at a low intensity. Does wonders for the fitness.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
It's a perennial question. As a new user of a turbo I don't look at the distance reading afterwards much because for me riding on the turbo is a completely different experience to riding on the road. I ride on the turbo at way higher intensity (and shorter duration) than I ever ride on the road and do intervals and the like. As I could never transplant that to outside, I don't find the simulated distance very significant. I look at the Watts and wotnot.

Of course, that not to say that mine is the One True Way. Others can do what they like.

boydj

Legendary Member
That's most likely the reason you dont stick at it.

My first experience was with a spin bike in the front room-watching tv. An hour was my maximum.............

Who says I don't stick at it? I use my turbo for high intensity sessions to maximise the benefit I get from what is an artificial environment. Zwift and other technology no doubt can enhance the experience, but I don't see a cost-benefit in an investment like that. Useful as Zwift might be, it is still an artificial environment - no wind, rain, dodgy surfaces, or concentration required to sit on a wheel with riders banging elbows. Worse still, where's the cafe stop and the craic?

My racing days were back in the 80's and 90's (running, not cycling) and I'm long past hurting myself to the extent that racing requires. My cycling is used to slow my decline into old age and keep me fit for my golf, where I am competitive.

carlosfandangus

Über Member
I got on my turbo in the garage yesterday :sad: 65/70 mile an hour gusts and driving rain, i only lasted 15 minutes, the rain was coming into the garage from the open door, I had to wear gloves as it was so cold, nearly put glasses on too as I was getting a face full of rain, I was about to close the door (nothing to look at then) I sacked it and had a beer instead ^_^

Top Bottom