Ready to start!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
LibraRider

LibraRider

Well done, an amazing first ride. How do you feel now, would you be happy to do it again in the next few days?

Thanks Skol :smile:
I pushed myself! Had to stop a few times on the way back to catch my breath - and also my legs just didn't want to go lol
Right now, I feel good! Tired. EXHAUSTED! I will sleep so well tonight - but GREAT! Very accomplished.
Im planning on going out again on Monday evening, after work. Cycling at night will be interesting

I checked your Strava and that was the worst kind of ride, downhill on the way out but then uphill for the return when you are starting to get tired.

Everywhere where I live has hills. There is literally no choice but to go up and down hill, so hopefully ill get fit quickly!

it's a slippery slope from here, you will soon have three bikes and be riding 50 miles every week.... :laugh:

Haha! I think you may be right - im already considering when to buy a road bike :becool::whistle:

vickster

Legendary Member
Thanks Skol :smile:
I pushed myself! Had to stop a few times on the way back to catch my breath - and also my legs just didn't want to go lol
Right now, I feel good! Tired. EXHAUSTED! I will sleep so well tonight - but GREAT! Very accomplished.
Im planning on going out again on Monday evening, after work. Cycling at night will be interesting

Everywhere where I live has hills. There is literally no choice but to go up and down hill, so hopefully ill get fit quickly!

Haha! I think you may be right - im already considering when to buy a road bike :becool::whistle:
Save up for a couple of months and see how you're getting on

I DID IT GUYS!!!
I even cycled on a dual carriageway!!!
Im bloody knackered though.
5.2 mile for my first attempt can't be bad right?

Check out my strava and let me know what you think :smile:

I think for future rides I need to take some water with me and make sure I have some fuel in my belly though. Riding on an empty stomach left me feeling a bit sick.
It was good fun though! I liked it! Good job eh?

I can see the benefits and drawback of the suspension at the front now. Cycling over dips and bumps on the road is easier with the suspension but then it makes the hill climbs a nightmare. Especially when you're on a low gear, pounding away at the pedals and your just seem to be bouncing up and down :laugh:

May invest in a road bike when im a bit fitter :smile:

Im so happy!!!!!!

^_^^_^^_^^_^:bicycle:
Excellent!

CXRAndy

Guru
It wont be long before your trips will take you down to the Cotswolds:okay:

Plan, whenever you can to use quieter roads. Less vehicles, more pleasant riding.

I DID IT GUYS!!!

I think for future rides I need to take some water with me and make sure I have some fuel in my belly though. Riding on an empty stomach left me feeling a bit sick.

I can see the benefits and drawback of the suspension at the front now. Cycling over dips and bumps on the road is easier with the suspension but then it makes the hill climbs a nightmare. Especially when you're on a low gear, pounding away at the pedals and your just seem to be bouncing up and down :laugh:

Im so happy!!!!!!

Good effort, keep it up.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I DID IT GUYS!!!

Im so happy!!!!!!

Kudos given well done

There's always room for an N+1 :whistle:

But the more you ride, the better idea you'll have of exactly what you're looking for in a road bike, as there are road bikes and there are road bikes. Drop bar bikes are a pretty broad church.

Same is true with all the assorted gubbins and clothes needed for cycling. Don't go out and splurge right now as you'll (invariably) end up with a bunch of stuff that doesn't get used - buy things when you have a need for them.

OP
OP
LibraRider

LibraRider

Guys - just a quick question.
I’m planning on going out again tomorrow evening. Should I do the same route again? Or switch it up? Training wise
If I was to switch it up - I’d keep the same distance just different route.

This gal says stick to what you're comfortable with for now. If you've not cycled in the dark before, stay on familiar roads, or just fizz around a park if you've got one nearby.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
It's up to you, but retracing a route you already know gives you a better idea of what's ahead, when you will need to put extra effort in and where you can ease off a bit and get your breath back without having to stop.
Also, by doing the same route a few times you will appreciate the improvements (i.e, reducing the time taken to complete the ride, getting up 'that' hill without stopping, etc) and these little but important successes will boost your confidence no end 👍

Guys - just a quick question.
I’m planning on going out again tomorrow evening. Should I do the same route again? Or switch it up? Training wise
If I was to switch it up - I’d keep the same distance just different route.
I’d stick with the route and distance you’re at for a few rides. If you ramp it up too quickly, you risk fatigue, and / or injuries. Keep everything the same for now.

OP
OP
LibraRider

LibraRider

I seem to remember that you went on a dual carriageway first time? If it was at all busy I'd suggest varying your route to avoid that bit.

Otherwise I agree with the comments above.

Enjoy it!

I think it may be a bit busy this evening because of rush hour so that’s a good shout! I’ll see if I can work a way around it.
Thanks for that!

CXRAndy

Guru
Four or five smaller rides per week are more beneficial than one or two longer rides.

The benefits for a new rider, is that it allows contact points to 'toughen up' without getting sore and little often wont overly tire you out.

Just be patient in these first few weeks. Once you get going, progress will then rapidly accelerate for a few months. :okay:

Top Bottom