Real ale Vs. Lager

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

NickM

Veteran
Rhythm Thief said:
Real ale if there's good stuff available, Stella or similar if not. the pub at the top of our road, for instance, sells Timmy Taylor's Landlord which is about the best beer anywhere, but the stuff he sells is flat and flavourless so I drink Stella instead.
That's the problem. Unpasteurised British beer is a great drink, but the majority of British publicans and bar staff are bloody useless, so it is seldom available in the condition required to do it justice.

Unless I'm at home in Norwich and can go to the Fat Cat, I've largely given up on British beer in favour of bottled Belgian beers. It's made drinking more expensive, but at least I no longer spend half my drinking time feeling that I've been conned.

Rhythm Thief, if you haven't tried Belgian beer (sorry, Stella doesn't really count), a whole new world awaits you :biggrin:

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Real ale for me every time. I notice that some people always say ale is too heavy, well yes some are, but many are light beers that resemble a lager in colour, but are far superior in taste. Summer lightning from the Hopback brewery is ideal to start with, the bottled version is very good too. The Wychwood brewery has a couple of light beers as well. Many others brew pale beers, you just have to look for them.
As christmas is coming, maybe some of you lager drinkers that might like to get into real beer, should get someone to buy you a copy of the good beer guide 2008 which is out now.

U

User482

Real ale fan here too. No bear, no sandals & 29 years old. I take "real ale" to mean any high quality beer brewed primarily to interest the taste buds, as opposed to striving for shelf life & profit. I'm a big fan of the Belgian beers - I did a tasting in Brussels that had 6 different styles of beer - wheat beer, triple, blonde, brun, trappist & geuze (my favourite).

In the UK - I'm a big fan of Bath Ales, particularly Gem & Wild Hare.

NickM

Veteran
NickM said:
...if you haven't tried Belgian beer... a whole new world awaits you
I seem to remember that I used this exact phrase last week when evangelising for recumbents :biggrin:

Well, it's still true! Everybody should try Belgian beer - and recumbents :rolleyes:

radger

Veteran
User482 said:
No bear, <snip>

In the UK - I'm a big fan of Bath Ales, particularly Gem & Wild Hare.

You should get a bear, you could take it to the pub. boom boom

I've only discovered Bath Ales since moving to Bristol in August and I'm very impressed.

Brock

NickM said:
That's the problem. Unpasteurised British beer is a great drink, but the majority of British publicans and bar staff are bloody useless, so it is seldom available in the condition required to do it justice.

Unless I'm at home in Norwich and can go to the Fat Cat, I've largely given up on British beer in favour of bottled Belgian beers. It's made drinking more expensive, but at least I no longer spend half my drinking time feeling that I've been conned.

I always complain if my pint isn't up to scratch, I've never had a problem getting a refund or different pint. I've never quite worked out what to do if I see them serving the same stuff to the next bloke through the door though.

Top Bottom