Real time ethical dilemma.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
In the current climate id simply not booked in the first place. The only certain thing for the foreseeable is uncertainty.

Id simply not go in your position. The virus isnt a joke, and the law isnt a game of dodgeball. The reason its rising again is because people aren't behaving so i would obey the spirit as well as the letter of the regs. Its the biggest crisis this country has faced since WWIi and we should be doing our bit, not looming for ways to sneak around the fringes of the rules.

We live in London - From midnight Tier 4

No foreign travel allowed from Tier 4

We are due to fly from Gatwick (not in Tier 4) to Madeira on Tuesday.
(Edit: Booked in early Summer, hoping things might be resolved, fully covered by insurance, no financial loss if we cancel because of Tier 4 rules)

We could get a cab later this evening to Gatwick and check into a Hotel till Tuesday morning.

That looks legal.

We have already made our decision.

But what would the panel do?
I think you’re on your way to Gatwick, or there already.
I also think that we’re this to be correct, its a mistake, for the reasons others have stated here.
But we are all individually responsible for our own actions, and I’m not criticising yours, whatever that was.

Reactions: C R

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
I don't know how much simpler than do not leave your home you can get, for very specific reasons. The don't leave your home also includes any time after midnight tonight. It means return to base now.

Aside from legalities and morality, the idea amuses me. Tens to hundreds of thousands living in tier 4 will have Christmas travel plans going abroad. If someone were a very high flyer or public servant, for the 90%+ that'll cancel do those out there who aren't do you honestly not think you'd get rumbled by neighbours/colleagues/anyone?

MntnMan62

Über Member
In case you haven't figured it out, there is a pandemic going on across the planet. Almost 1.7 million people have died across the planet and that number is probably much lower than reality. And even worse, so many countless others have come down with Covid and are now suffering from permanent debilitating conditions to their lung and major organs, including the heart. So, let me get this right. You plan to take your family on a plane sitting in extremely close proximity to other people you don't know and breathing the same air they are exhaling for hours while you sit in a large metal tube. Does that really make sense to you? I've put off all travel until this thing is under control. That means no college visits with our son. Not something we are happy about but at least we all value our lives. You timing is also quite curious. You choose to travel when the virus is raging far beyond any other time since the pandemic began. Yeah, that seems real smart to me. Frankly, I don't see the dilema. I just see someone making a very poor decision.

Drago

Legendary Member
This b*stard virus has destroyed my life and MrsDs. We are struggling to even walk up the stairs.
How anyone can risk spreading/catching it is beyond me.
Sorry ro hear that Dave.

Mrs D has multiple sclerosis - having a serious autoimmune disease means the virus is liable to be a death sentence for her, so it boils my piss when people think it's acceptable to try to be clever. It's peoples lives they're gambling with.

gbb

Legendary Member
We should set up quarantine camps for peopke arriving here from abroad. Perhaps Gruinard could be put to such use.
My wife and the entire top half of the schools staff had to self isolate after 2 colleagues from the same family caught covid...from their nephew who came into the country to stay with them. The stupidity beggars belief, they happily mixed their extended family with the incomer, shared their travel to work in a car with other people, one carried on working despite feeling unwell and even mentioned they might...might, go for a covid test the next day. They did, positive, and In the meantime, infected two other members of staff. The entire upper end of school had to shut. Worse still, the school is for extremely vulnerable children with life shortening and life threatening conditions... one of the offending staff members child goes to the school and is accordingly extremely vulnerable.
It's like watching a film...there are no depths of stupidity people will plumb. A ban on unnecessary travel might have stopped all that.

Top Bottom