Really annoying kids whilst out cycling today

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Well, it was an exchange about kids playing chicken with cars, wasn't it. And yes, it was your fault, you are supposed to be the grown-up in situations like that.
Yes I did miss that important detail. But I'm not sure where the rule is that I'm supposed to be responsible for someone else's idiotic decisions. I will clarify that I didn't deliberately shunt him to the left, but just that I called his chicken and his lack of control and evasion resulted in him clattering to the ground. Nor was this a 8 year old kid, more like a 17/18 y/o. Old enough to know better, and certainly old enough to warrant this life lesson. I would never imply that anyone should engage in a game of chicken in their car vs an 8 year old on a bike.

Last edited:

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
Well, it was an exchange about kids playing chicken with cars, wasn't it. And yes, it was your fault, you are supposed to be the grown-up in situations like that.

Not @confusedcyclist fault. He just didn't back down in the face of idiotic intimidation by someone who needs to be shown up for the mindless moron he was. Maybe he'll think twice next time. How does it go 'all the devil needs is for good men to do nothing'

Tin Pot

Guru
Well perhaps there are subtleties at play we’re not aware of but from this distance I don’t think knocking kids off bikes is The Right Thing To Do. As you said yourself, not very mature, so I think you know you weren’t correct.

screenman

Legendary Member
Chicken is played a lot in Boston, I have mentioned this a few times on the forum, it has been on the increase for the last 10 years or so, I will vlcertcer see some later this week when I am back in the town.

Tin Pot

Guru
Oh man, I'd love to try that.. Tempted to go buy an apollo bike and mask and hoodie so I can blend in more..

The long isles of Homebase might be fun, but our shopping centre would be better. Long smooth walkways, down escalators...

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
some retard starts a wheelie 5 meters in front of me

I called his bluff, accelerated and shunted his front wheel off to the left as he tried to move to the right,

I will clarify that I didn't deliberately shunt him to the left,
I'm a confused cyclist here. What did you hit his front wheel, that was in the air, with? If you accelerated at him how is the collision not deliberate on your part?

I'll give folk the benefit of the doubt, but in my defense there is an awful lot of judgement going here without many established facts.

I'm a confused cyclist here. What did you hit his front wheel, that was in the air, with? If you accelerated at him how is the collision not deliberate on your part?

I may have painted a picture of being an idiot who engages idiots at their own level, but it's not the way I see it. As @Salty seadog says it, I simply didn't back down in the face of a bully.

His front tyre struck my front tyre as he tried to evade at the last moment. The fact that I accelerated (instead of stopping which I imagine he expected) probably surprised the smug git, but it has nothing to do with his lack of control of the situation he had initiated. He lost control the moment he suspended his front wheel in mid air yards from an approaching person. I doubt my well being never entered his head, so why should his enter mine? Nor did I force him to engage in a game of chicken, which ultimately ended up with him hitting the deck. It's true, I could have 'risen above it'. I agree it wasn't very 'mature' but I don't care much for conforming to what warrants as society's standards of 'civilised' behaviour, if that means being 'cowed' by every bully that crosses my path, forget it.

We have a choice in life, we can 'chicken out' and report incidents like this to the authorities (who will do feck all, and the feckless twunt would get away with it) and the idiocy continues unabated OR we can take it upon ourselves to teach the little prick a life lesson.

For the bleeding hearts in the audience, our ragamuffin swiftly got up, dusted himself off before presumably taking his bruises and buckled front wheel home. Hopefully a sharp reminder not to intimidate strangers again. Luckily no one was seriously hurt. When I say I acclerated, I mean from 5mph to 8mph. I was pootling along after crossing a road, probably looking like a soft target, I hardly buzzed him at 30mph.

Not @confusedcyclist fault. He just didn't back down in the face of idiotic intimidation by someone who needs to be shown up for the mindless moron he was. Maybe he'll think twice next time. How does it go 'all the devil needs is for good men to do nothing'

Much appreciated, the holier than thou crowd can get a bit tiring at times! :becool:

Last edited:

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
I may have painted a picture of being an idiot who engages idiots at their own level, but it's not the way I see it. As @Salty seadog says it, I simply didn't back down in the face of a bully.

His front tyre struck my front tyre as he tried to evade at the last moment. The fact that I accelerated (instead of stopping which I imagine he expected) probably surprised the smug git, but it has nothing to do with his lack of control of the situation he had initiated. He lost control when he suspended his front wheel in mid air. I think my well being never entered his head, so why should his enter mine? Nor did I force him to engage in a game of chicken, which ultimately ended up with him hitting the deck. It's true, I could have 'risen above it'. I agree it wasn't very 'mature' but I don't care much for conforming to societies standards of 'civilised' behaviour, if that means becoming docile and domesticated like a cow or sheep, backing down to every bully that crosses my path, forget it.

We have a choice in life, we can 'chicken out' and report incidents like this to the authorities (who will do feck all, and the feckless twunt would get away with it) OR we can take it upon ourselves to teach the little prick a life lesson.

For the bleeding hearts in the audience, our ragamuffin swiftly got up, dusted himself off before presumably taking his bruises and buckled front wheel home. Hopefully a sharp reminder not to intimidate strangers again.

Yes, he could have been hurt. It doesn't mean it was my fault. It was his choice to engage in risk taking intimidation games, which he ultimately lost to someone who was in more control of his bike, and thus the situation. When I say I acclerated, I mean from 5mph to 8mph. I didn't buzz him at 30mph.

Much appreciated, the holier than thou crowd can get a bit tiring at times! :becool:
That's lovely. What I am trying to understand is the mechanics of how you hit the front wheel of someone doing a wheelie with your front wheel when, I would assume, you were not also doing a wheelie.
I don't know if you are referring to me as holier than thou or a bleeding heart, you've been pretty scatter gun with the chest beating and gnashing of teeth in your post, so it may surprise you to know that I too do not believe in backing down in the face of bullies. However, in your first post on the subject you, whether intentionally or otherwise, put a different slant on the story. When you say that you "accelerated and shunted" it sounds rather more deliberate than the way you are describing things now, the addition of the information that you were doing a fast walking pace again changes the picture that you initially tried to paint, "lets say he took a tumble" suggests that there is more information that you'd rather not divulge, it doesn't automatically suggest that he swiftly got up and dusted himself down.
If you have an issue with people taking exception to a post where you appear to delight in knocking someone off their bike, injuring them and writing their bike off then perhaps you should consider the language you are using so you don't give that impression in the first place.

That's lovely. What I am trying to understand is the mechanics of how you hit the front wheel of someone doing a wheelie with your front wheel when, I would assume, you were not also doing a wheelie.
I don't know if you are referring to me as holier than thou or a bleeding heart, you've been pretty scatter gun with the chest beating and gnashing of teeth in your post, so it may surprise you to know that I too do not believe in backing down in the face of bullies. However, in your first post on the subject you, whether intentionally or otherwise, put a different slant on the story. When you say that you "accelerated and shunted" it sounds rather more deliberate than the way you are describing things now, the addition of the information that you were doing a fast walking pace again changes the picture that you initially tried to paint, "lets say he took a tumble" suggests that there is more information that you'd rather not divulge, it doesn't automatically suggest that he swiftly got up and dusted himself down.
If you have an issue with people taking exception to a post where you appear to delight in knocking someone off their bike, injuring them and writing their bike off then perhaps you should consider the language you are using so you don't give that impression in the first place.

What you say here is fair. His wheel struck mine as it came down and he lost his balance, his bike went left as he went right. Shunted perhaps implies that there was intent to unseat this fellow, but in reality I just proceeded forward. My posts were pretty scatter-ish as people demanded more details and somewhat surprising to me the initial reactions were negative, to my surprise I thought I would just be cheered on for beating the pleb at his own game.... then it became apparent some people had wrongly assumed I'd deliberately knocked down a wee nipper in my car :laugh:

And no, I wasn't referring to you personally, just the preceding posts. Some here were just a bit quick to judge. I admit the first post does paint my part of the incident in a bad light, thats more a function of quickly thrashing out a post without thinking through how it might have been perceived.

Last edited:
Top Bottom