Really annoying kids whilst out cycling today

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

johnnyb47

Guru
Hi and hope your all well.
Today the weather's been kind and thought I'd take my new bike out for a tour around the countryside. On my 45 mile ride I managed to take in 4/5 villages and with every one I got some sort of abuse from teenage kids hanging around the street corners.Obviously I'm a 50 year old guy who probably doesn't look to great on a road bike, and honesty it's usually water off a ducks back when I hear some of the sarcastic comments that come my way. I'm old enough and to thick skinned to let such things wind my up. For some reason today though it really started to p me off though. The first two abuses I got I just let it go over my head and completely ignored them but when the third village came by, I was again verbally abused by a group of youths. I was by now feeling knackered and my temper was on a short fuse. I just let it go over my head once again and put it behind me. The 4th and final village I past through I was actually starting to feel a little apprehensive so to if I would get through it with out any agro. Sadly I was wrong on that idea. A group of 15/16 year lads where sure enough hanging around the shop on there mountain bike's ,when one big spotty lanky Herbert shouted "get proper bike you effing w####r. People in the street looked upon the group in disgust at his foul mouthed abuse. I really came close to stopping and give him what for as my temper was now at boiling point. Thankfully for my sake I just carried on and ignored him. If would of stopped I think I would of ended up doing something I would regretted. I have spoken to many other cyclists in my area and they have all been the subject to the same abuse.It seems like there's a bit of a craze in my area at the moment where youngsters ( not all of course) think it's "big" to hang around the shops etc on there BSO and give abuse to passing cyclists. In one particular village a local 10 mile tt passes through on a Friday evening and the youngsters will congregate as the cyclists pass through just to throw abuse.
One of these days I can see one of these cyclists losing there temper with them big time which would not be good all round for anybody. I really hope this silly phase passes by and that it's just the fact it's just something that's happening whilst the school summer holidays are happening at the moment. Another craze that these kids seem to be doing at the moment is riding there bikes really dangerously towards moving cars pulling wheelie,s and then just missing them at the last minute causing the driver to take evasive action. There playing " chicken" with cars and pedestrians and one day someone is really going to get hurt. Hopefully the police will start to clamp down on this antisocial behaviour soon before it all ends in tears.
Anyway sorry for my rant but I just felt like getting it my chest.
All the very best,
Johnny.

OP
OP
johnnyb47

johnnyb47

Guru
The thing is nowadays you've got to be so careful is to what you say or do. If I behaved like that when I was a youngster I would of ended up having a clip behind the ear by the person I gave " cheek "to" and by my parents if they ever found out. Times have changed nowadays though and you really have to be careful as to what you can say or do.

simonali

Guru
[QUOTE 5355070, member: 9609"]oh well - they will be all off back to school the morrow, not sooner enough really.[/QUOTE]

In the middle of the summer holidays?

matiz

Guru
The latest craze down here has been gangs of youths riding there bikes into the shops and stores riding around causing chaos then pedaling off just before the cops arrive.

Slick

Guru
I know it must be annoying but I can honestly say that its never happened to me so I'm unsure how I would react if it did. I can think of a couple of motorists recently, one a young female driver and one a middle-aged passenger. The female was really annoyed i took primary in a lane on a bridge so gave me the coffe bean signal and the guy was devastated that I got to the bike box in front of him just as the lights changed and when his mate overtook me he leaned out the window to tell me what he thought about me and I could only burst out laughing as it really was pathetic. Even more pathetic when I passed him again at the next junction and his face was like a burst tomato as he tried to look everywhere but at me. :laugh:

Moral is, who really gives a feck, life's too short and there's far too many things to enjoy without letting anyone regardless of age or anything else spoil it.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Sad you had such a lousy load of louts to ruin your ride!

I had pretty much the opposite this evening. Popping out for a leg stretcher on my CX, I was heading through a local estate not known for its beauty (!!), two lads of about 12 or 13 hung over their garden fence and shouted ‘Oi! Nice bike Mr!’ actually meaning it.
‘Thanks, it is’ said I, and got a thumbs up in reply.
They aren’t all bad, you know.

Slick

Guru
Quite right too, :becool:

Mrs M

Guru
Hi and hope your all well.
Today the weather's been kind and thought I'd take my new bike out for a tour around the countryside. On my 45 mile ride I managed to take in 4/5 villages and with every one I got some sort of abuse from teenage kids hanging around the street corners.Obviously I'm a 50 year old guy who probably doesn't look to great on a road bike, and honesty it's usually water off a ducks back when I hear some of the sarcastic comments that come my way. I'm old enough and to thick skinned to let such things wind my up. For some reason today though it really started to p me off though. The first two abuses I got I just let it go over my head and completely ignored them but when the third village came by, I was again verbally abused by a group of youths. I was by now feeling knackered and my temper was on a short fuse. I just let it go over my head once again and put it behind me. The 4th and final village I past through I was actually starting to feel a little apprehensive so to if I would get through it with out any agro. Sadly I was wrong on that idea. A group of 15/16 year lads where sure enough hanging around the shop on there mountain bike's ,when one big spotty lanky Herbert shouted "get proper bike you effing w####r. People in the street looked upon the group in disgust at his foul mouthed abuse. I really came close to stopping and give him what for as my temper was now at boiling point. Thankfully for my sake I just carried on and ignored him. If would of stopped I think I would of ended up doing something I would regretted. I have spoken to many other cyclists in my area and they have all been the subject to the same abuse.It seems like there's a bit of a craze in my area at the moment where youngsters ( not all of course) think it's "big" to hang around the shops etc on there BSO and give abuse to passing cyclists. In one particular village a local 10 mile tt passes through on a Friday evening and the youngsters will congregate as the cyclists pass through just to throw abuse.
One of these days I can see one of these cyclists losing there temper with them big time which would not be good all round for anybody. I really hope this silly phase passes by and that it's just the fact it's just something that's happening whilst the school summer holidays are happening at the moment. Another craze that these kids seem to be doing at the moment is riding there bikes really dangerously towards moving cars pulling wheelie,s and then just missing them at the last minute causing the driver to take evasive action. There playing " chicken" with cars and pedestrians and one day someone is really going to get hurt. Hopefully the police will start to clamp down on this antisocial behaviour soon before it all ends in tears.
Anyway sorry for my rant but I just felt like getting it my chest.
All the very best,
Johnny.
Never mind them, people in the street were as disgusted as you.
Wee fools on their nasty BSO’s, feel sorry for them in a way.
There was a chicken incident up here a while back now, won’t be doing it again as lost his life under a van!
Don’t give them the attention they want. Just ignore and enjoy riding your bike :smile:

Mrs M

Guru
Sad you had such a lousy load of louts to ruin your ride!

I had pretty much the opposite this evening. Popping out for a leg stretcher on my CX, I was heading through a local estate not known for its beauty (!!), two lads of about 12 or 13 hung over their garden fence and shouted ‘Oi! Nice bike Mr!’ actually meaning it.
‘Thanks, it is’ said I, and got a thumbs up in reply.
They aren’t all bad, you know.

I’ve had a wee gang of kids running ahead of me along the pavement, then stopping, giving a wave and thumbs up and saying “cool bike” (my roadie) :laugh:
Also passed the community centre on my Pashley as a wee toot was coming out with her mum, she just said “look mum, cool”, (made my day).

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
I’ve had a wee gang of kids running ahead of me along the pavement, then stopping, giving a wave and thumbs up and saying “cool bike” (my roadie) :laugh:
Also passed the community centre on my Pashley as a wee toot was coming out with her mum, she just said “look mum, cool”, (made my day).

It is a nice Pashley though. Not seen a pic in a while. Love those rear lights.

mgs315

Ah sod em. I had a few kids give me crap a few weeks back cycling through town, when the road opened up a bit I just got on the drops and stuck it at FTP, simple enough to drop them.

Top Bottom