Really annoying kids whilst out cycling today

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gary E

Veteran
I think the main driver behind this behaviour is peer pressure and, when they're not in a pack, they're unlikely to say boo to a goose.
I had an incident a couple of years ago with a 'pack' of louts. The gobby one became very subdued when I followed him home and spoke to his parents.

Johnno260

Veteran
I think the main driver behind this behaviour is peer pressure and, when they're not in a pack, they're unlikely to say boo to a goose.
I had an incident a couple of years ago with a 'pack' of louts. The gobby one became very subdued when I followed him home and spoke to his parents.

True the troublesome ones are worse when in a pack.

My wife had an incident in a carpark when a group of louts where leaning against the back of her car, she got in, turned on the engine and waited but they didn't move, she opened the window and politely asked them to move, and she got a load of verbal back.

She called me and I hopped in the car with my two brothers, when my car pulled into the car park and all three of us got out and approached them they pretty much broke the 100m sprint record, then told us from 100m way what part of the female anatomy we were.. lol brave kids.

In general kids aren't all bad, but the bad apples behaviour is worse than ever in my opinion.

Tin Pot

Guru
Christ where do you live? Sounds like a craphole

That made me chuckle - but it will be location/route related. I’ve not had any abuse from the streets, as far back as I can remember. Cars a different thing obvs.

I guess I’m privileged in where I can choose to live now, there’s no way I’d be cycling as I do now if I still lived in Deptford, London. At least, not for long. My mother still lives there, two men hospitalised her for my old mtb rust bucket a few years back.

Can the OP change routes?

Or move home?

The other thing is time of day - you’ll never see louts on the corner between 05:00-07:00 ;)

Oldfentiger

Veteran
I've noticed over the last week or so, groups of kids/youths apparently playing chicken with the traffic. I was driving through the centre of Burnley last Friday evening when I had several kids ride straight at me, a couple of them doing wheelies. Forced me to stop to avoid a collision.
I've googled and found out that it is a current craze on social media, called "Swerve the Car".
Stop the planet, I want to get off.

Gary E

Veteran
The difference is that these days they're nigh on untouchable. I, as a kid, on the other hand would have been chastised until I could no longer sit down! The words "I'll tell your mum/dad" would have been enough to bring me back in line :eek:

Last edited:
"Get a proper bike" is hardly the insult of the century? I would have challenged them to a rap battle and skooled them old stylie.

Rockn Robin

Hi and hope your all well.
Today the weather's been kind and thought I'd take my new bike out for a tour around the countryside. On my 45 mile ride I managed to take in 4/5 villages and with every one I got some sort of abuse from teenage kids hanging around the street corners.Obviously I'm a 50 year old guy who probably doesn't look to great on a road bike, and honesty it's usually water off a ducks back when I hear some of the sarcastic comments that come my way. I'm old enough and to thick skinned to let such things wind my up. For some reason today though it really started to p me off though. The first two abuses I got I just let it go over my head and completely ignored them but when the third village came by, I was again verbally abused by a group of youths. I was by now feeling knackered and my temper was on a short fuse. I just let it go over my head once again and put it behind me. The 4th and final village I past through I was actually starting to feel a little apprehensive so to if I would get through it with out any agro. Sadly I was wrong on that idea. A group of 15/16 year lads where sure enough hanging around the shop on there mountain bike's ,when one big spotty lanky Herbert shouted "get proper bike you effing w####r. People in the street looked upon the group in disgust at his foul mouthed abuse. I really came close to stopping and give him what for as my temper was now at boiling point. Thankfully for my sake I just carried on and ignored him. If would of stopped I think I would of ended up doing something I would regretted. I have spoken to many other cyclists in my area and they have all been the subject to the same abuse.It seems like there's a bit of a craze in my area at the moment where youngsters ( not all of course) think it's "big" to hang around the shops etc on there BSO and give abuse to passing cyclists. In one particular village a local 10 mile tt passes through on a Friday evening and the youngsters will congregate as the cyclists pass through just to throw abuse.
One of these days I can see one of these cyclists losing there temper with them big time which would not be good all round for anybody. I really hope this silly phase passes by and that it's just the fact it's just something that's happening whilst the school summer holidays are happening at the moment. Another craze that these kids seem to be doing at the moment is riding there bikes really dangerously towards moving cars pulling wheelie,s and then just missing them at the last minute causing the driver to take evasive action. There playing " chicken" with cars and pedestrians and one day someone is really going to get hurt. Hopefully the police will start to clamp down on this antisocial behaviour soon before it all ends in tears.
Anyway sorry for my rant but I just felt like getting it my chest.
All the very best,
Johnny.

Sad, isn't it Johnny. It reminds me of a time when I was in Jakarta, Indonesia. I was walking home to my hotel after visiting a planetarium. While walking along the sidewalk, I noticed a group of teenagers up ahead. I thought of what kind of abuse I was in for when I came up to them, but they turned to me and opened up a path. It was like the parting of the Red Sea. And whilst walking by them, I recall one boy say, "hello sir, how are you," as some of the others would simply say, "hello sir." All in their attempt to speak the little English they knew. To be honest, I had an idea that they would be like that because kids, on the whole, in much of Asia, and I traveled a lot there, are more respectful to their elders. It's how they are brought up. But because of bad experiences in my area with kids, I couldn't help envision some form of verbal nonsense from them. Much of our youth today, especially on my side of the pond, are not brought up in a way to show respect to others. It's a changing world we live in, I'm afraid.

Last edited:
There playing " chicken" with cars and pedestrians and one day someone is really going to get hurt. Hopefully the police will start to clamp down on this antisocial behaviour soon before it all ends in tears.

I had some pleb on a BSO do this to me whilst commuting last year. I didn't stop. Instead I called his bluff, accelerated and shunted his front wheel off to the left as he tried to move to the right, lets say he took a tumble and his bike may or may not be been a write off. It wasn't very mature of me. But oh so satisfying.

latest?cb=20160222233240.jpg

You knocked a kid down with your car, and that is funny? This place is really going to the dogs lately.
Err, wait. When did I say I was in my car? I guess I could have been clearer.

There I was, minding my own business on my commuter bike and some retard starts a wheelie 5 meters in front of me, deliberately, with a smirk on his face. On a collision course with me. He wanted to play chicken, and it's my fault he ended up on the deck?

Top Bottom