'Really relaxed' geometry road/sportive bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
Because of the incessant nature of upgrades, today's entey level is yesterdays Tiagra and the day before's 105.

I'd avoid 54, I'm another with neck mobility like you & I'm that same Gnats nadge under 5'11". My 54 impulse buy roadie geometry is just too uncomfortable, even with a shorter & adjustable stem tilted up, for anything over short trips and commuting.
The seat tube is commensurately shorter too so you end up with a lot of seat post showing and just as head down bum up, losing the benefit of the front adjustments and end up pretty well as you would be with it in racing trim.

You could have new forks cut to a long headtube and lots of spacers but it'd look a bit odd and you (probably won't) may need to think of cable lengths.

You may lust after a particular bike now but you'll need it to be right long term to really love it.

OP
OP
Paulq

Paulq

Bike Rider, Beer Drinker, Biscuit Eater.

The black Tiagra looks nice. I can't have white handlebar tape and I can't be bothered with the faff of swapping it.

They look nice - thanks.

OP
OP
Paulq

Paulq

Because of the incessant nature of upgrades, today's entey level is yesterdays Tiagra and the day before's 105.

I'd avoid 54, I'm another with neck mobility like you & I'm that same Gnats nadge under 5'11". My 54 impulse buy roadie geometry is just too uncomfortable, even with a shorter & adjustable stem tilted up, for anything over short trips and commuting.

You could have new forks cut to a long headtube and lots of spacers but it'd look a bit odd and you (probably won't) may need to think of cable lengths.

You may lust after a particular bike now but you'll need it to be right long term to really love it.

I agree. I have put a call in to the guys at Pedal Precision today and am gonna have a chat with them today about how much customisation they can actually do. First and foremost I won't compromise on the right size - the rest I can tweak and I don't mind paying for them to help me to do that.

Cyclist33

I love white bar tape ;)

and can't stand black bikes...

I know which I'd have...but I don't need any more bikes!

that's never stopped you before :tongue:

OP
OP
Paulq

Paulq

Spend some money on physio too

Trust me - if you'd seen my MRI scans you'd understand that Physio is probably a bigger waste of my money than me buying white bar tape. The ONLY thing that MAY fix this problem is highly risky surgery to insert a plastic disc into my cervical spine.. Whilst minimal, there's a risk of paralysis from the neck down - it's not one I am prepared to take so I have to do stuff like this to alleviate the issue whilst knowing it will never go away.

vickster

Legendary Member
Fair enough :smile: You're not buying white bar tape, but a bargain bike with white bar tape that can easily be changed :smile: I expect the seller will even do it if they sell you the tape and you ask them nicely

Dave7

Legendary Member
I have just seen this thread and not read all the answers so excuse me if I duplicate some things.
I have 2 problems..........
a) an old lower back injury ( a chipped vertebrae)
b) I'm 68 yrs old.
I purchased a Ribble Sportive. You can go visit them Near Preston (so not far from you) and get it made to suit. Its a very relaxed geometry and suited me well.
When that was stolen (after 12 months) I got a Giant Defy which is also relaxed...........a "better" frame but at a cost.
I still can't turn by head/neck properly when wanting to do a right turn but no bike will solve that :smile:

gbb

Legendary Member
I have just seen this thread and not read all the answers so excuse me if I duplicate some things.
I have 2 problems..........
a) an old lower back injury ( a chipped vertebrae)
b) I'm 68 yrs old.
I purchased a Ribble Sportive. You can go visit them Near Preston (so not far from you) and get it made to suit. Its a very relaxed geometry and suited me well.
When that was stolen (after 12 months) I got a Giant Defy which is also relaxed...........a "better" frame but at a cost.
I still can't turn by head/neck properly when wanting to do a right turn but no bike will solve that :smile:
Ribble Sportive here as well. Ive a fairly rigid back which makes me fairly immobile but I have no problems getting onto the drops on the Sportive (mind I do have a very short stem...but that was to maintain saddle to bars length, something I specifically wanted)

OP
OP
Paulq

Paulq

Am almost ready to buy but does anyone have any idea what's going on at Pedal Precision? I've left 2 messages and emails asking them to contact me and.....zilch.

Any suggestions of who offers a similar service in the NW? I don't want to use Paul Hewitt.

Cyclist33

Am almost ready to buy but does anyone have any idea what's going on at Pedal Precision? I've left 2 messages and emails asking them to contact me and.....zilch.

Any suggestions of who offers a similar service in the NW? I don't want to use Paul Hewitt.

Don't forget my offer still stands...

Top Bottom