'Really relaxed' geometry road/sportive bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SteCenturion

I am your Father
"I am gonna have another bash at a road oriented bike after several years riding hybrids. The reason is that, as a result of a rugby (League not Union - RU is for pansies :laugh:) injury"

:rolleyes: :wahhey:

Cannondale Synapse (Claris)
Specialized Roubaix
Merida Ride (these seem hard to get hold of....)
Giant Defy

"i am a gnat's nodger over 5'11" and typically have been recommended 56cm frames".

" if I wanted to be more upright would a 54cm or 58 cm be likely to help"?
All the usual stuff already mentioned, correct sizing, stem flipped, saddle to bar height drop etc.

Just to reiterate, different brands same sizes don't always match up, as an example, I am 6ft & ride both a 58 & a 56/57 road bike. Both cockpits *bar,stem, saddle are exactly the same* & most importantly both fit me well.

The bikes you list will all serve you well if properly set up + the Felt Z series vickster quoted.
Another that has been overlooked is the Trek Domane *not Madone* which has a more relaxed geometry & features an IsoSpeed Decoupler *or mini suspension design* in the rear of the bike, this might further help with your issues.
The Trek has been universally acclaimed as one of the most comfortable road bikes & Evans sell them.

You could book a test ride at their Velodrome store of both the Trek Domane & Specialized Roubaix, maybe combined with a visit to Pedal Precision as they are all together on the same site.
Manchester Velodrome has a tram stop too, so easy to get to if you want to make a day of it.

Good Luck &

"Come on you Leigh"

mythste

Veteran
Good spot!

To the op: Racing cross bikes are supposed to be ridden hard, for about an hour - they can have *very* unforgiving geometries! There's another class of Cross bike that you can think of as a manufacturer shorthand for "bikes intended to be one of, or a combination of Commuting bike/Light Tourer/Road bike with Fat wheels/Hybrid with drop bars". As I think has been said earlier, there's no substitute for checking the bike out in person, at a shop that will advise you honestly.

Good point on the good spot.

I have a Focus Mares which is, after 6 months of living with it, very much more a "commuter/all round" bike than a hardcore Cyclocross bike. I'm lead to believe that's the case with a lot of the circa £1k cross bikes at the moment as well. Quite forgiving geometry wise.

toeknee

Über Member
Yes the "ride"is the model with the more relaxed geometry, not as aggressive as the scultra, reacto. It is/was a very nice ride.

OP
OP
Paulq

Paulq

Bike Rider, Beer Drinker, Biscuit Eater.
As posted above, my pave has an extremely chilled geometry with a very tall headtube

Have a look at their current model, you can always call to discuss, they are extremely helpful in my experience

http://www.pearsoncycles.co.uk/pearson-imnotanumber-2015.html

I will - the only issue I have is that I am likely to be buying it in the C2W scheme so I have an upper limit of £1k really, though my preference would be to spend less than that.

vickster

Legendary Member
Ah ok - Pearsons do C2W but I'm not sure whether they'll let you up the amount beyond the £1000, I suspect not. I think your best option is to get out there and ride a few, make sure whatever you get has enough steerer on the headtube for a reasonable number of spacers etc. If there isn't you're stuck with a low front end - I had to get a new fork for my used SS as the steerer had been cut really short, Pearsons found me one in their warehouse but was still £100 odd from memomry

OP
OP
Paulq

Paulq

They won't let you top it up in most cases and, really, they shouldn't do. Am gonna have a scout about this weekend and see how I feel. I may also look at CX bikes but, if I can't ind one that suits, then I'll probably play safe and opt for a flat bar.

The Merida does look nice though, just not sure it's relaxed enough but trying it will tell me. The Felt Z's also look really nice.

vickster

Legendary Member
There are a few suggestions here http://www.bikesoup.com/magazine/review-12-best-2014-endurance-sportive-road-bikes/

I assume you've looked at the Specialized Secteur (or forget C2W and go for the carbon Roubaix), always seems to get all the plaudits when it comes to comfort. Yes, probably under specced for the cash but components can be upgraded and for you, it's the frame that is paramount. Do you have a concept store nearby?

There are 20% off deals at the mo, e.g. http://www.pearsoncycles.co.uk/specialized-secteur-elite-disc-2709.html
(happens to be my LBS)

OP
OP
Paulq

Paulq

There are a few suggestions here http://www.bikesoup.com/magazine/review-12-best-2014-endurance-sportive-road-bikes/

I assume you've looked at the Specialized Secteur (or forget C2W and go for the carbon Roubaix), always seems to get all the plaudits when it comes to comfort. Yes, probably under specced for the cash but components can be upgraded and for you, it's the frame that is paramount. Do you have a concept store nearby?

There are 20% off deals at the mo, e.g. http://www.pearsoncycles.co.uk/specialized-secteur-elite-disc-2709.html
(happens to be my LBS)

That's a really good article. Though some of them are more than I want to pay for a bike the Cannondale, Trek and LaPierre look like they may do the trick.

Thanks for posting that.

As an aside am I looking for the impossible here given my problem? Cycling is inherently 'always' going to be a bit uncomfortable - just to play devil's advocate for a minute would I not simply be better to look at one of the many good flat bar ride bikes out there or a sportier hybrid? Is there more chance of me actually finding one that's gonna be comfortable?

I have ridden hybrids for the past few years since suffering the injury and find them to be ok - just not that conducive to make me desperate to go out.

And the million dollar question is - if so, which one?

Top Bottom