Really TRUE odd factoids

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
Ever wondered where "Wearing your heart on your sleeve" came from?

In the Middle Ages, single young men and women drew names from a bowl to see who their valentines would be. They would wear these names on their sleeves for one week.

Today, to wear your heart on your sleeve means being transparent with your affections.

OP
OP
Blue Hills
The typical average of results that come back from paternity testing labs with a "paternal discrepancy" log is 30 per cent.

Note - this doesn't mean that 30 per cent of kids are under the wing of fathers who mistakenly think they are theirs as there is of course a pre-selection of the sample afoot - tests tend to be done when there are suspicions/things to resolve.

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
After most of Manchester United's starting line-up died in a plane crash in 1958, Real Madrid offered to loan out Alfredo Di Stéfano, the world's best player, to Manchester United. All the parties agreed, but England's FA blocked the loan, because "it would halt the progress of a British player"

Dirk

If 6 Was 9

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
Aboriginal Australians often traveled to Indonesia for trade, and when British explorers first visited inland Australia they met an Aboriginal man who had already learned English from his visit to Singapore.

Durango Bay

The same day Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin stepped for the first time on the surface of the Moon, Luna 15, a Soviet robotic mission to collect samples from the Moon before the US, failed and crashed 344 miles away into the side of a mountain.
That is amazing. So much so I had to check if it is true or not and it definitely is.

Dave7

Legendary Member
Lots of talk about missions to Mars at the moment.
I was surprised to read.......
Earth to the moon....... 384 thousand km
Earth to Mars......200 MILLION km
Slight difference there :eek:

Top Bottom