Really TRUE odd factoids

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
My mate talked me into doing it many years ago. I had no idea what I'd be facing. I'd been up Snowdon via various paths but never even heard of Crib Goch. We camped in a field opposite the Vaynol Arms where we'd got hammered the night before so when we set off we'd both got thumping heads. I'd never experienced anything like it and will never do it again. I'm not keen on heights at all. I remember looking over to the left and thinking "Fall that side and if you're lucky you might just be crippled for life" and then I looked to the right which was absolute certain death. I told my mate I wanted to turn back. Then he pointed to the queue of people behind. We couldn't turn back even if we wanted to. It was one way traffic. We had no choice but to carry on till the bitter end. We came back down via one of the wide, popular paths. It still gives me the shudders just thinking about it 😬
It's a 300 foot drop, straight down, one side. The other side has plants growing that have protected status. You could be prosecuted if you disturb their natural habitat!

OP
OP
Blue Hills
The compere on the opening night of Manchester's legendary Hacienda nightclub was Bernard Manning.
He also gave John cooper Clarke his first big break/,,regular booking

Dave7

Legendary Member
Ooo, that's quite a lot. That said it can get very busy. We did it in the summer on another occasion and it was basically a procession. Inevitably you ended up having to stop just as you got onto a tricky bit !
I have done it several times but not for some years*
I recall one time, a beautiful day.....perfect weather. While at the top a train with lots of Japanese tourists arrived.
Timing could not have been worse as just as the train arrived the cloud dropped and they could see.....nothing.
A shame but it made me laugh at the time.
*I have done parts of it since then with other, less fit, people.

Last edited:

Dave7

Legendary Member
It's a 300 foot drop, straight down, one side. The other side has plants growing that have protected status. You could be prosecuted if you disturb their natural habitat!
So as you roll down the drop at 80 mph you have to keep an eye out to ensure you don't damage any plants :wacko: easy peasy.

I have done it several times but not for some years*
I recall one time, a beautiful day.....perfect weather. While at the top a train with lots of Japanese tourists arrived.
Timing could not have been worse as just as the train arrived the cloud dropped and they could see.....nothing.
A shame but it made me laugh at the time.
*I have done parts of it since then with other, less fit, people.
It's a very nice train ride. They would have got 99% of the views they were going to get, plus a pub-stop at the summit :okay:

OP
OP
Blue Hills
Anything anything true to squash the endless peak reminiscing.
So
Ebenezer Scrooges's gravestone is in a shrewsbury graveyard - st chad's I think.
A genuine old gravestone was adapted to be used in a christmas carol film with George C Scott.
and the production folk left it there.

Chris S

Legendary Member
The lyrics to Greased Lightning include the lines, "She's a real pussy wagon" and "You know that ain't no sh*t, we'll be getting lots of tit."
I wonder how they got passed the BBC censors?

classic33

Leg End Member
If you use the gents' urinal in Todmorden town hall (and think yourself back to the late 19th century) you will be standing in Yorkshire and passing water into Lancashire.

Last edited:

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
Unlike in the movie Die Hard, the escape hatch on a lift can't be opened from the inside; by law, it's bolted shut from the outside. It’s there so that the emergency services can get in, not so passengers can get out. If a lift is in trouble, the safest place to be is inside the lift.

Dave7

Legendary Member
Unlike in the movie Die Hard, the escape hatch on a lift can't be opened from the inside; by law, it's bolted shut from the outside. It’s there so that the emergency services can get in, not so passengers can get out. If a lift is in trouble, the safest place to be is inside the lift.
Well that is nice to know.
I will remember that if I should ever share a lift with Drago when he farts.
That might disprove part of that theory xx(

classic33

Leg End Member
Incidents involving elevators and escalators kill about 30 and seriously injure about 17,000 people each year in the United States, according to data provided by the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics and the Consumer Product Safety Commission.

Top Bottom