Really TRUE odd factoids

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Chris S

Legendary Member

classic33

Leg End Member
Carrots (yes, the vegetable) played a major role in the development of liquid-crystal display (LCD) technology.
According to historical documents, Friedrich Reinitzer discovered that cholesterol extracted from carrot was in liquid crystal form in the late 1800s; thus, it could be used to used to produce and manipulate images. Of course, it wasn’t until many years later when LCD was actually used for this purpose, but carrots nonetheless played a key role in the development of LCD technology.

Chris S

Legendary Member
At the end of WWII the Soviets took over the former Buchenwald concentration camp and used it to hold political prisoners. It was finally closed in 1950.

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
At the end of WWII the Soviets took over the former Buchenwald concentration camp and used it to hold political prisoners. It was finally closed in 1950.
Aye, I saw that last night too. Was it 6-7000 they murdered there?

Chris S

Legendary Member
That was the official figure, the real one is likely to be much higher.

Another thing that surprised me was that the combined death toll for Britain and America was about 800,000 civilian and military lives. For the Russians it was 27 million.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
That was the official figure, the real one is likely to be much higher.

Another thing that surprised me was that the combined death toll for Britain and America was about 800,000 civilian and military lives. For the Russians it was 27 million.
Yeah. It makes me laugh when people tell you that the UK and US won the war.
The Russian sacrifice was huge and they basically exhausted the Nazi resources to allow the Allies to move in. But the rural civilians were sacrificed by Stalin as well as by the Nazi’s who blitzed and burned the farms.

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
The Russian sacrifice would maybe have been less if they hadn't worked on the principle of sending more soldiers than the Germans had bullets. They were also utterly ruthless to their own, executing over 200,000 people. In the final advance on Berlin, Zhukov and his rival fired on each others troops because they wanted to get to Berlin first. The Soviets lost 27 million because they had 27 million Stalin was perfectly willing to lose.

classic33

Leg End Member
The centre of Newcastle, according to most SatNavs, the point from which all other distances are measured, is a cafeteria in a Newcastle University building.

The university could offer no explanation as to why this might be.

classic33

Leg End Member
Dr William Moulton Marston was an internationally famous psychologist in the 1930's who is generally credited as the inventor of the polygraph test, which measures changes in blood pressure to determine whether someone is lying.

His female comic superhero Wonder Women, perhaps as a nod to his work on the polygraph test, was given as her signature weapon the ‘Lasso of Truth’ – a golden rope that, if anyone was bound by it, magically prevented them from lying.

Top Bottom