Really TRUE odd factoids

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
The USS Phoenix, a light cruiser in the United States navy, survived the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor on the 7th December 1941.

After World War II, she was transferred to Argentina in 1951, renamed the ARA General Belgrano in 1956. She was torpedoed by the British nuclear-powered submarine HMS Conqueror on the 2nd May 1982, during the Falklands War and sank with a loss of 323 lives.

She is the only ship to have been sunk in combat by a nuclear-powered submarine during wartime.

classic33

Leg End Member
For the first 8 minutes of your life the sunlight around you is older than you are.

guitarpete247

Just about surviving
In 2014, a missing woman on a vacation in Iceland was found when it was discovered that she was in the search party looking for herself.

classic33

Leg End Member
One-quarter of all your bones are located in your feet.

There are 26 bones in each foot. That's 52 bones in both feet, out of 206 total bones in your whole body, which is more than 25 percent.

It may sound crazy at first, but think about it: Your feet support your weight and allow you to jump, run, and climb. Those bones and joints also allow your feet to absorb and release energy efficiently. It's one of the reasons humans can outrun any other animal in an endurance race.

classic33

Leg End Member
Shakespeare's epitaph contains a curse for grave robbers.

When William Shakespeare died aged 52 years old on the 23rd April 1616, he was buried in a tomb that featured an epitaph meant to ward off grave robbers: "GOOD FREND FOR IESVS SAKE FORBEARE / TO DIGG THE DVST ENCLOASED HEARE / BLESTe BE Ye MAN Yt SPARES THES STONES / AND CVRST BE HE Yt MOVES MY BONES." Or more clearly: "Good friend, for Jesus' sake forbear / To dig the dust enclosed here / Blessed be the man that spares these stones / And cursed be he that moves my bones."

Last edited:

classic33

Leg End Member
In your feet there are normally about 250,000 sweat glands which typically produce about half a pint of perspiration a day.

Sweat glands are more concentrated on the feet than in any other part of the body.

Chris S

Legendary Member
From The Deck of Cards:
When I count the spots in a deck of cards,
I find 365, the number of days in a year.
There are 52 cards, the number of weeks in a year .
There are thirteen tricks, the number of weeks in a quarter.
There a four suits, the number of weeks in a month.
And twelve picture cards, the number of months in a year.

Top Bottom