Rear Bike Rack Help

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Extremedalek

Hi

I'm looking for a bit of help/advice please. We've been gifted for Christmas a Saris Sentinel 2 rear mounted bike rack to fit onto our Focus hatchback car. All appears well, but I imagine that the number plate and lights will be obscured when the 2 bikes are loaded.

I understand that we'd need a powered light board but how do I go about having one of these installed, along with the necessary electrics? I'm at a bit of a loss to be honest - it all seems very confusing. I'm not car minded at all so its unlikely that I'd be able to install anything myself.

Thanks in advance.

Slick

Guru
Hi

I'm looking for a bit of help/advice please. We've been gifted for Christmas a Saris Sentinel 2 rear mounted bike rack to fit onto our Focus hatchback car. All appears well, but I imagine that the number plate and lights will be obscured when the 2 bikes are loaded.

I understand that we'd need a powered light board but how do I go about having one of these installed, along with the necessary electrics? I'm at a bit of a loss to be honest - it all seems very confusing. I'm not car minded at all so its unlikely that I'd be able to install anything myself.

Thanks in advance.
Most people just fit a trailer board like this.

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/214...MIiPTB8IC03wIViuJ3Ch1xyQUBEAQYASABEgLXHPD_BwE

Or just do what I do and wing it. :okay:

simongt

Guru
Best go to your local Wilco and buy a lightboard. They'll wire your car for the connector on the lightboard for you. :thumbsup: A lot cheaper than a possible fine if you did get stopped for having obscured rear lights / numberplate - ! :cry:

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
The only bike that obscures the rear lights and number plate when using my single Sarin is my MTB, do I take the wheels off and wrap them up in the boot. The CX and other two Road bikes are fine.

Adam4868

Guru
I usually just stick a no plate (tie wraps) if im on long journey.But otherwise never bothered.Ive took bikes to france,ireland every year and never had a problem.

OP
OP
Extremedalek

Extremedalek

Thanks for the re[lies guys. We've had a bit of a re-think and the plan now is to remove both wheels from each bike and shove everything in the boot. We're going to have a dry run tomorrow. Hopefully Halfords will return the rack for a re-fund (or at least credit).

Top Bottom