Rear bike wheel help please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
Aye, I keep looking
What sort of bike are you looking for? And for what budget?

OP
OP
Sjw

Sjw

Hybrid or road bike. The one i have is a hybrid with mtb tyres. It hasn't been outside since I put it on the trainer.
Mainly for street cycling.
I'm not desperate for one but thought if I could get a rear wheel and swap them over, it would be easier.
I need a shed/garage too if I get another bike!
budget is very limited £200 and not much over

vickster

Legendary Member
Yep do that and get some slicker tyres for outside

£200 would likely get you a used roadbike. Might as well use the hybrid you have as get a second hybrid

Edgy Dee

Cranky Old Guy
Here's a cheap solution to see you through the nicer summer weather: Beg, borrow or steal a 7-speed standard 26 inch mountain bike wheel - these are much easier to come by than a 650B. Mountain bikes get dumped at waste re-cycling centres daily. Because it's smaller than your 650Bs it will fit the frame, and you can use that for the turbo. You will need a slick tyre, but it doesn't need to be turbo-specific, any cheapo will do. You may need to unhitch the V-brake noodle so the pads don't foul the wheel. Obviously, don't use the brake on the turbo! You can then use your existing wheel/tyre combo to get outside for some real cycling.

Alan O

Über Member
You will need a slick tyre, but it doesn't need to be turbo-specific, any cheapo will do.
Yes, I was surprised to find turbo tyres selling for considerably more than my road tyres. I found a slick-enough cheapie at £6 and it's fine on the turbo - I'd never risk my life on it on the road, mind.

As for a wheel, I reused one that was nearly worn out and which I'd replaced - brakes don't matter on the turbo, so a worn-out rim is fine.

So, for me, I'd be looking to see if I could find a really cheap old wheel on the famous auction site (assuming my current wheel was OK for the road).

Last edited:
Top Bottom