Rear Brakes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Davidc

Guru
I've re-fettled the front brakes on one bike ready for the winter, and the other bike follows as soon as the pads come from Wiggle. Both done with Kool Stop parts, and I'll always spend whatever it takes to get good performance. My life depends on them.

All I use the back brakes for however is control on downhills and sometimes for gentle stopping. most of the time I only use the front ones. The back ones will probably only be 10% worn out when the bikes reach the end of their lives.

Both bike's back brakes have the original rubbishy brake pads on them, the ones supplied with the bikes. Presumably they'd work better with decent parts fitted. I can't see any point though in spending the money, but am I missing something, is there a safety benefit in improving them?

Gerry Attrick

Lincolnshire Mountain Rescue Consultant
It would be rather foolhardy to use the front brake only on a slippery surface.
If a problem occurs with the front brake, your back up is your back brake.
I would consider you a tight a**e for not fettling both brakes :biggrin:
Preserve uniformity and get the back brake working as well as the front.....well nearly!
You may just need both brakes working at peak efficiency one day.

OP
OP
Davidc

Davidc

Guru
I'm not suggesting having faulty back brakes - it's just a question of whether its worth having them any better than as supplied by the bike maker. In both cases I can just about make the back wheel slide at 10mph on dry tarmac if I squeze the lever very hard.

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Yes - get your rear brakes working !!

I tend to wear out pads at the rear faster than at the front. Relying on your front brake only can lead to problems with bike control. Always more control if you use rear brake more.

D

Deleted member 1258

Keep the back brake in good working order, you'll need it when its slippery

longers

Legendary Member
I'm a fan of decent back brakes over autumn and winter. Changing the pads might help and doesn't need to be expensive.

sabian92

Über Member
I would get them working again - I never, ever only use my front brake. If I'm slowing down I use the back and cadence brake with the front (it's a disc so it's got some bite).

Always use your back to do the bulk of the stopping, otherwise you risk going over the handle bars.

gavintc

Guru
I went over the bars using the front brakes a long time ago. I've never used them since. I'm happy with it.
A bit of extreme reaction. IMO, both brakes should be used when slowing. Almost every time I use the brakes, I will pull on both.

snailracer

Über Member
I use the front brake exclusively 98% of the time. It is the more powerful brake and constant use makes you more proficient with it, especially when you need to do an emergency stop. My right hand is also stronger and more dextrous than my left. It is also more economical as it is cheaper to replace a front wheel when the rim wears out.

I use the back brake on loose or slippery surfaces, or when I have to brake going around corners, or as a backup in case the front brake malfunctions. I would only upgrade the back brake if it is really rubbish or has a very different feel to your upgraded front brake. As far as I can tell, there is no such thing as an excellent rear brake on an upright bicycle, because it can not be powerful.

I don't use both brakes at once, as I prefer to keep at least one hand firmly wrapped around a handlebar.

ASC1951

Guru
Always use your back to do the bulk of the stopping, otherwise you risk going over the handle bars.
Not if your bike is set up properly. Physics says you generate far less stopping force with the rear brake and in severe cases it won't produce even a third of what you need. Rough rule of thumb is 60 - 40 split front/rear; 75% or even 100% front at slow speeds; proportionately more at the back if the surface is slippery. http://en.wikipedia....rcycle_dynamics

TBH anyone who does most of their braking with the back brake is either going very slowly or best kept well clear of.

sabian92

Über Member
Not if your bike is set up properly. Physics says you generate far less stopping force with the rear brake and in severe cases it won't produce even a third of what you need. Rough rule of thumb is 60 - 40 split front/rear; 75% or even 100% front at slow speeds; proportionately more at the back if the surface is slippery. http://en.wikipedia....rcycle_dynamics

TBH anyone who does most of their braking with the back brake is either going very slowly or best kept well clear of.

I'm not a very fast rider so that's probably why... :blush:

I only don't use my front because I've seen countless people go over the handlebars doing it and I'd rather not join that club. I don't have the confidence to use it so I'll stick to what I know for the time being - when I brake with my rear brake I always shift my weight back a little bit to give me more stopping power so it's not as much of a problem.

I'm left handed as well so it's a lot more natural to brake with the rear.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
I'm not suggesting having faulty back brakes - it's just a question of whether its worth having them any better than as supplied by the bike maker. In both cases I can just about make the back wheel slide at 10mph on dry tarmac if I squeze the lever very hard.

This would seem perfectly good enough. Once the wheel is locked you can't brake any better than that.

Unless the Kool Stops work much better than your current pads in the rain of course. I tend to use Kool Stops not for better braking- although it does give me that, in the wet, but for reduced grit pick-up during the winter.

Ben M

I'm not a very fast rider so that's probably why... :blush:

I only don't use my front because I've seen countless people go over the handlebars doing it and I'd rather not join that club. I don't have the confidence to use it so I'll stick to what I know for the time being - when I brake with my rear brake I always shift my weight back a little bit to give me more stopping power so it's not as much of a problem.

I'm left handed as well so it's a lot more natural to brake with the rear.

As soon as you so much as touch the front brake you're not going to do a massive endo and go over the bars. The fact of the matter, as explained earlier by someone else, is that the front brake will provide you with more stopping power, this is why cars have bigger brakes at the front.

It's best to practice using the front brake to stop, so that when you come to be in an emergency situation you can stop as fast as you possibly can, rather than just jamming on the back brake and stopping in twice the time/distance. Being able to use the front brake effectively could be the difference between getting hit by a car/ hitting a pedestrian and having a close call one day.

It's such an easy skill to learn; shift your weight back and pull the front brake, that it's one that you should definitely take the time to master.

The Eighth Man

I use the front brake exclusively 98% of the time. It is the more powerful brake and constant use makes you more proficient with it, especially when you need to do an emergency stop. My right hand is also stronger and more dextrous than my left. It is also more economical as it is cheaper to replace a front wheel when the rim wears out.

I use the back brake on loose or slippery surfaces, or when I have to brake going around corners, or as a backup in case the front brake malfunctions. I would only upgrade the back brake if it is really rubbish or has a very different feel to your upgraded front brake. As far as I can tell, there is no such thing as an excellent rear brake on an upright bicycle, because it can not be powerful.

I don't use both brakes at once, as I prefer to keep at least one hand firmly wrapped around a handlebar.

I agree I very, very rarely use my back brake, I only brake with the bike upright and do not have any problems

Top Bottom