Rear derailleur adjust...easy

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gbb

Legendary Member
It is...honest :tongue:

Bit of a story, but bear with me.
Trek 7.1FX. Brought it about 5 years ago...never liked it, hardly used it. It sat in the shed most of the time looking brand new..until i started letting my son use it. He soon gave it a 'well used' look ;):ohmy:!

When i eventually started using it...the wheels buckled, brakes are useless and the gears hardly shift. Fixed most of it but shied away from the rear gears..never touched them in my life.
Used the bike with 3 of the 7 gears for the last year...till today. :ohmy:

Thats it, watch the Youtube vid,

Went back to the bike, and its done in 5 or so minutes.....7 gears...all working...yay:tongue::tongue::tongue:

Give it a go peeps......i'm amazed...and i got 7 gears again :biggrin:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
400 plus posts and only just learnt how to adjust a rear mech....tisk tisk !! ;)

OP
OP
gbb

gbb

Legendary Member
fossyant said:
400 plus posts and only just learnt how to adjust a rear mech....tisk tisk !! :wacko:

I know, i know ;):tongue::tongue:

The sad, but good fact is i never had to. Right back to my Carlton Continental in the 80s, none of the bikes i ever had, ever needed adjustment.
It kind of bugged me that i didnt know, but my dads motto in life, which ive adopted is...if it aint broke, dont fix it.

Perhaps i can hold my head up now :ohmy:

i can wright a long post for you but im not going to have a look at the sheldon brown web site and if you still cant get it from that go down to your LBS. when your down there ask them in a nice tone if they can show you the "best way" to do it. most shops will help if not go to the next one mate.

thats how i picked up lots of tips on the best way of doing things.

OP
OP
gbb

gbb

Legendary Member
spandex said:
i can wright a long post for you but im not going to have a look at the sheldon brown web site and if you still cant get it from that go down to your LBS. when your down there ask them in a nice tone if they can show you the "best way" to do it. most shops will help if not go to the next one mate.

thats how i picked up lots of tips on the best way of doing things.

Not bad advice if you have a friendly LBS...

The point is, dont shy away from something youve never done. Like i said, i never had to, so never bothered. But when it was neccessary, i was a little reluctant.
Stupid really (or lazy maybe)..i'm a maintenance engineer working on machines that cost tens of thousands of pounds. But you still have to learn how to do it...whatever it is. Rear derailleurs or adjusting a cutch on a rotary weighing machine....until you know, you dont know !!!!!

The helps out there...

in this case....give it a go....its not rocket science.

Top Bottom