rear derailleur problem

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
My twat of a b-in-law cycled into the back of me yesterday and has bent the rear hanger. Should I attempt to straighten it myself or take it to my reliable lbs for an experienced mechanic to do it?

I'm nervous because if it breaks the bike is worthless. It's a Scott CR1 and the ali hanger is joined diectly to the carbon stays.

rich p said:
My twat of a b-in-law cycled into the back of me yesterday and has bent the rear hanger. Should I attempt to straighten it myself or take it to my reliable lbs for an experienced mechanic to do it?

I'm nervous because if it breaks the bike is worthless. It's a Scott CR1 and the ali hanger is joined diectly to the carbon stays.

Really? Are you sure there are no fixings anywhere? Try taking the wheel out.

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid
This is a cr1

460-carbon-dropouts-R1.jpg

I can see a replaceable hanger

OP
OP
rich p

rich p

ridiculous old lush
It's a 2007 model but definitely doesn't have a replaceable hanger.

Mickle I can't quite imagine how that screw on emergency hanger works but it may come to that I suppose.

rich p said:
It's a 2007 model but definitely doesn't have a replaceable hanger.

Mickle I can't quite imagine how that screw on emergency hanger works but it may come to that I suppose.

if I underhend comprestand it correctly one smashes carefully saws off the bent hanger with an angle grinder a fine hacksaw blade and a blunt chisel, pile-drive a couple of accurately drill two new holes in the remaining ragged stump material and then mash on bolt on a new hanger with a lump hammer the bolts provided. Or something. ;)

OP
OP
rich p

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Hmmm, sounds dangerous. I'm really hoping that the lbs will be able to straighten it otherwise I'm in trouble.

The b-in-law is on a 3 day trip from Oz and in going into the back of me he has also bent the front wheel of the Spesh Allez I had lent him.:thumbsup::angry::tongue:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Get the bugger to pay up..... a CR1 frame ain't cheap - can't believe it doesn't have a replaceable hanger....... ouch..double ouch.....

Top Bottom