Rear Derailleur Recommendation

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
T

temporider

Great phots! And I think your choice to install a dogfang mitigates the 'long' chain dropping risk. Please would you indulge me(us) by sharing images from the side of the chain on 1) large/large and 2) small/small.

56BC40BF-7A91-45C2-8F26-C5DEBE527701.jpeg

F68FC5C3-46C8-46F7-8087-D13D2EBECC06.jpeg

Small/small and big/big.

Looks like you've JUST got away with the chain wrap issue 👍

About these dog-fangs ... I've always guessed there has to be a drawback (TANSTAFL!). Otherwise why not just put the derailleur mount hole lower? Or make frames with 2 holes?? The above photo possibly illustrates one:
It's clear that your upper jockey ends up miiiiiiles from the smaller sprockets. Does this impact shifting much?

Ajax Bay

Guru
Think you have to add one more link (1") into that chain. And put up with the noisiness if you stray into small chainring & smallest few sprockets - take as an immediate indicator to shift into the middle ring.
Is @matticus mixing up his lupus and canis dentistry?

OP
OP
T

temporider

About these dog-fangs ... I've always guessed there has to be a drawback (TANSTAFL!). Otherwise why not just put the derailleur mount hole lower? Or make frames with 2 holes?? The above photo possibly illustrates one:
It's clear that your upper jockey ends up miiiiiiles from the smaller sprockets. Does this impact shifting much?

No problems with shifting - I still use the down tube friction shifters. The dog fang is doing a good job of keeping the chain on the small ring. It would drop off intermittently in the past but I’m getting positive engagement now.

The gear cable outer gets in the way of operating/turning the QR lever before 'closing': having it on the left side avoids this inconvenience (and it's normal).
See also Velominati Rule #41

Back in the earliest days of the QR, the lever was on the RHS. It took a decade or so to swap the lever to the LHS.

<EDIT let's try again ... >

About these dog-fangs "Wolf Tooth Roadlink"s ... I've always guessed there has to be a drawback (TANSTAFL!). Otherwise why not just put the derailleur mount hole lower? Or make frames with 2 holes?? The above photo possibly illustrates one:

Chislenko

Veteran
About these dog-fangs "Wolf Tooth Roadlink"s ... I've always guessed there has to be a drawback (TANSTAFL!). Otherwise why not just put the derailleur mount hole lower? Or make frames with 2 holes?? The above photo possibly illustrates one:

The Dog Fang is the the thing on the front to stop the chain coming off inwards Matticus.

Top Bottom