Rear derailleur size

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GazK

Veteran
I'm now getting to the point on my summer project where I need to settle on rear mech and cassette sizes. It's a falcon tourer with a 40/50 chainset, and I'm looking to put either an 11-32 or 11-34 cassette on back. I've calculated the resulting chain wrap at 31 or 33 links. I assume that due to the large rear sprocket I'm looking at an MTB mech. Shimano Deore long cage has a chain wrap of 45 links. If I fit this will the derailleur arm sit too far back on small cogs because there isn't enough chain wrap?

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
I'd have thought if the chain length is correct it'll work fine. I've used an Altus on a single chainring and a 12-32 cassette with no problems at all.
TBH I've normally found it quite tricky to get a Shimano rear mech doing anything other than working nicely...

OP
OP
GazK

GazK

Veteran
I'd have thought if the chain length is correct it'll work fine. I've used an Altus on a single chainring and a 12-32 cassette with no problems at all.
TBH I've normally found it quite tricky to get a Shimano rear mech doing anything other than working nicely...

OK, ta - I'll go look up chain length setup.

Top Bottom