Rear derallier into wheel carnage

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Smurfy

Naturist Smurf
Been there... Done that..

318748_10151284508374616_774546867_n.jpg

Sorry no idea about the cage... Ask your LBS if not good answers here?

Good luck..!
Haven't seen such a fantastic mess for a long time!

OP
OP
Justinslow

Justinslow

Lovely jubbly
With respect, just take your bike to your lbs and get them to fit and set up a new derailleur. Maybe ask theme of show you how to set the limits.
If you think that a "pointy" tyre caused the problem then I'd leave it to the bike shop to sort it out if I were you!
its booked in first thing tomorrow, was just weighing up doing it myself.

Andrew_P

In between here and there
When mine did this it was because someone had knocked my bike over and not told me knocked it out line, my wheel was fecked and never went back to staying in true.

screenman

Legendary Member
It's easy to say that now, maybe that's something I need to do then more regularly.
My times are ok, just won my club TT points championship, based on improvements in time over the year. But I'm not the fastest by any means, my 10 was 33 minutes last August, this August I'm down to 24.29 on the same course (record is 22 I think).
I bought the 53/39 as I felt I was losing speed down the hills (and everyone runs a standard!)

39 seems low for most time trials I have ever ridden in, not many hill around your way is there. Pop a 46 in.

OP
OP
Justinslow

Justinslow

Lovely jubbly
With respect, just take your bike to your lbs and get them to fit and set up a new derailleur. Maybe ask theme of show you how to set the limits.
If you think that a "pointy" tyre caused the problem then I'd leave it to the bike shop to sort it out if I were you!
It's something I'd just changed, no I don't think it caused the problem, I also don't think incorrect adjustment of the derallier caused the problem, it could be the alignment though and the fact I was big big. It went bang as I changed into the 23 mid way up the hill so yes probably my fault. And yes I'm feeling rather sorry for myself!

Broadside

Guru
Tonight I had a major mishap climbing a hill shifting into the biggest cog (23) on the back still in the 53 on the front, the derallier collided with the rear wheel.
No idea how this happened as I've had the bike over a year and things have been fine.
I had just put a "mich pro 4 service course" on and this was the first proper out the seat climbing id done in that gear (thinking about it, I probably haven't ridden in that gear since changing the tyre.
This tyre has a more "pointy" profile apparently, could this have caused my rear wheel to "flex" or move about more, enough to touch the mech?
Anyway, whatever happened it's got to be sorted, the sora rear derallier is trashed, I rather fancy a 105 one to replace, how do I know what cage size I need? And would this be ok with 9 speed? I currently run 9 speed sora with Ultegra 11-23 cassette and Ultegra 53/39 crank. Cheers!
Unlucky. Something similar happened to my wife's bike but it was after a puncture and I think the bike had been laid down on the derraileur at some point.

It also happened as I was riding around Belgium with a friend earlier this year. We were on a steep climb and i heard the tell tale tink-tink-tink as the derraileur cage nudged the spokes, I told him to quickly change up a gear but a couple of seconds later it all exploded. I do think that sometimes it can just happen.

While big-big is not a good way to ride I very much doubt if it had anything to do with the mishap, if anything that combo will bend the cage away from the spokes, not inwards where it might catch. good luck fixing it, the damage to my wife's bike was a chain plus front and rear derailleur, but luckily no damage to the wheel apart from light scratching to a couple of spokes.

boydj

Legendary Member
I thing the big/big combo under the major stress of a steep climb could be enough to twist the rear mech into touching the spokes, even without an hanger alignment problem, if the limit screw is even slightly out.

What I can't understand is this reluctance to use the small chainring. It must surely be compromising the cyclist's efforts trying to grind up a hill in big/big when easier/more efficient gears are available on the small chainring.

OP
OP
Justinslow

Justinslow

Lovely jubbly
I feel sorry for you as well, the important thing is to learn. Keep smiling it seems to make big problems smaller.
Yes, I think because I was on a TT training run (and going ok) I switched into "I don't need to change front rings" mode, where if I had tackled that hill on a "normal ride" I would have definitely switched into the 39 at the start of the hill. I'm only 13 months into owning and riding my bike and learning all the time (and making mistakes).

Ajay

Veteran
It's something I'd just changed, no I don't think it caused the problem, I also don't think incorrect adjustment of the derallier caused the problem, it could be the alignment though and the fact I was big big. It went bang as I changed into the 23 mid way up the hill so yes probably my fault. And yes I'm feeling rather sorry for myself!
Big/big will cause the chain set to wear more quickly, not work as efficiently as it should, and maybe rub a little on the fd, but it won't send the chain into the spokes or cause the rd to go bang. Unless isn't not set up correctly. Anyway, I'm sure the lbs will sort you out :okay:

OP
OP
Justinslow

Justinslow

Lovely jubbly
I thing the big/big combo under the major stress of a steep climb could be enough to twist the rear mech into touching the spokes, even without an hanger alignment problem, if the limit screw is even slightly out.

What I can't understand is this reluctance to use the small chainring. It must surely be compromising the cyclist's efforts trying to grind up a hill in big/big when easier/more efficient gears are available on the small chainring.
See my previous post.

Top Bottom