Rear derallier into wheel carnage

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

earlestownflya

Been there... Done that..

318748_10151284508374616_774546867_n.jpg

Sorry no idea about the cage... Ask your LBS if not good answers here?

Good luck..!
that's painfully horrific

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Wheel was lucky, couple of spokes slightly bent and the wheel only slightly out of true.
Don't count on it! :whistle:

The_Weekend_Report_Guy

Pablo's Cycling Tours
Interestingly it doesn't look like the wheel suffered too much damage? Was a cause pin pointed?

It didn't..! Don't ask me how.. The main reason was that the chain snapped.. Caught the BD and I believe built pressure as I was pedaling up a little bump..

They had to fix the frame and replace the back derailleur obviously.. I am so glad I was riding steel and not carbon that day..

These things are easy to diagnose. They're not a mystery. If the chain separated, there will be evidence where it hooked the RD. If the RD hit the spokes, there will be evidence of that too. It is either the chain, the spokes or a foreign object. The latter was not alluded to so that leaves us with two other possibilities. C'mon Sherlock, show us some nice macro photos.

migrantwing

Veteran
It's something I'd just changed, no I don't think it caused the problem, I also don't think incorrect adjustment of the derallier caused the problem, it could be the alignment though and the fact I was big big. It went bang as I changed into the 23 mid way up the hill so yes probably my fault. And yes I'm feeling rather sorry for myself!

Changing half way up a hill, under tension wouldn't have helped, either. You can change up a hill, but most of the time it's a risky thing to do.

migrantwing

Veteran
I thing the big/big combo under the major stress of a steep climb could be enough to twist the rear mech into touching the spokes, even without an hanger alignment problem, if the limit screw is even slightly out.

What I can't understand is this reluctance to use the small chainring. It must surely be compromising the cyclist's efforts trying to grind up a hill in big/big when easier/more efficient gears are available on the small chainring.

I ride in the large chainring a lot, too. Just personal preference, even on climbs (unless they're evil).

Poacher

Gravitationally challenged member
So in future I must change into the 39 ring? I do TT's and I don't think I've ever changed into the 39, maybe I've twisted it? I didn't think that part of the chain line was under much stress, thought it was above the cogs so to speak?
Maybe I'm just being mischievous here; you decide.
If you're really into TTs, and never use the 39t, why not ditch it and run a single chainring, saving the weight of the unused ring, the FD, the control cable and maybe fit a lighter rear brake lever, as you no longer need the indexed changing mechanism? As a bail-out gear, maybe run a slightly larger top sprocket on the cassette.

Maybe I'm just being mischievous here; you decide.
If you're really into TTs, and never use the 39t, why not ditch it and run a single chainring, saving the weight of the unused ring, the FD, the control cable and maybe fit a lighter rear brake lever, as you no longer need the indexed changing mechanism? As a bail-out gear, maybe run a slightly larger top sprocket on the cassette.
Seeing as you are being mischievous [not like you at all :rolleyes:] then may I offer some proper advice? If you had been riding fixed you wouldn't be reporting your woes on here, and seeing as you ride tt's that sound like they are reasonably flat then fixed is the answer.
On a related note, having been around the tt scene for many years it is well known that many tt'ers are reluctant to change into the smaller chainring, even on hills where they would benefit both in time and energy. I believe there is a number of possible reasons for this. With a nod to @Yellow Saddle, it always surprises me how many folk are happy to buy an expensive piece of machinery without any notion of how to look after it or even understand how it works, let alone how to get the best or most efficient performance out of it. Watching the pros tt'ing is a bad idea [apart from position] they are always reluctant to use the inner ring in case they drop the chain, which for reasons I don't understand happens way too often. I have been preparing tt bikes for a long time using many wheel, chainring and cassette combinations and never once had a chain problem in a race situation or any other for that matter.
In short, take the time to understand how your bike works, it really is not complicated.

Last edited:

earlestownflya

I even managed to bent the part of the frame where the hanger goes.. (this was my steel bike)

You should see the face of the guys at the bike shop when I showed up with this one...
i saw the hanger instantly..thats the pain, right there.thats a beautiful frame.....On another point,i build bikes up myself..i've noticed when installing modern larger range cassettes into older steel frames,frames maybe designed for 5,6,7 speed back in the day, that the derailleur runs very close to the spokes when up on the big sprocket.
Take particular care when swapping out jockey wheels.I changed the original campag jockeys on my chorus for some tacx,the centre bearing of the tacx must have been narrower than the campag because the screws holding them came quite a way through the cage back plate,catching the spokes..just thought i'd mention it,something to look out for:smile: oh yeah,is that 753 tubing?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Justinslow

Justinslow

Lovely jubbly
image.jpg

Ok thanks everyone for your opinions, and nice that not everyone is calling me a wally!
My lbs has the bike and is going to fix it in time for my open TT on Saturday, one of the guys working there belongs to my club and does the TT's and I trust them implicitly.
Basically, new rear mech 105 to replace sora, new chain, new cable, wheel truing and maybe a couple of spokes, as my wheels are superstar and run Sapim spokes, this is an easy fix.
They really are are great bunch of guys, chatting this morning it seems it could just be down to the big/ big issue, and changing into the big rear under load half way up a hill as others have suggested, not neccearrilily it being adjusted incorrectly, the hanger calling time got too close to the wheel and boom. Just a particular set of circumstances coming together at the same time.
Everyone I have spoken to regarding this never change into the little ring on the front during TT's!
It's my only bike so I use it for recreational use, training and racing so I don't think I could be without the 39 ring @Poacher.
Like I said the lbs will be in touch when it's done, nothing was too much trouble for them, top service.

Some pics
image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

earlestownflya

View attachment 104796
Ok thanks everyone for your opinions, and nice that not everyone is calling me a wally!
My lbs has the bike and is going to fix it in time for my open TT on Saturday, one of the guys working there belongs to my club and does the TT's and I trust them implicitly.
Basically, new rear mech 105 to replace sora, new chain, new cable, wheel truing and maybe a couple of spokes, as my wheels are superstar and run Sapim spokes, this is an easy fix.
They really are are great bunch of guys, chatting this morning it seems it could just be down to the big/ big issue, and changing into the big rear under load half way up a hill as others have suggested, not neccearrilily it being adjusted incorrectly, the hanger calling time got too close to the wheel and boom. Just a particular set of circumstances coming together at the same time.
Everyone I have spoken to regarding this never change into the little ring on the front during TT's!
It's my only bike so I use it for recreational use, training and racing so I don't think I could be without the 39 ring @Poacher.
Like I said the lbs will be in touch when it's done, nothing was too much trouble for them, top service.

Some pics
View attachment 104792
View attachment 104793
View attachment 104794
View attachment 104795
thats why hangers are seperate these days...quick release eh?:okay:

Top Bottom