Rear ended by a taxi

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

benb

Evidence based cyclist
Twenty Inch said:
I've managed to stay safe and well by making exactly the opposite assumption. I've been involved in 3 collisions - two were black cab drivers, one was a minicabber. In the most recent collision, my front wheel was still under his taxi when the cabbie got out and collected badge numbers from the cabbies behind him, and then told me it didn't matter what I said, there was half-a-dozen cabbies who'd support his version of events.

I've also been punched by a cabbie after he drove at me at a junction.

I am of course discounting the innumerable close passes, left-hooks, and other bullying and dangerous behaviour.

However I'm quite prepared to believe that Middlesborough cabbies are better than London cabbies, so fair play to the guy for apologising.

Bet you wish you'd had a camera in that situation!

benb said:
Bet you wish you'd had a camera in that situation!

No, I wished I had an SLR with a fixed bayonet. However, now I'm glad I didn't.

mike.pembo said:
Only thing is helmet cam doesnt show the impact so Ive just ordered an MD80 for the rear that Im going to modify with a USB charger and attempt to bodge a case to protect from splashes - just in case :biggrin:

I've not actually tried it, but from the mode it goes into when plugged in, it might not record whilst on charge. Other people have said it won't record whilst "charging" too.

If you want a longer life on it, you'll want to open it and replace the 350mAh 3.7v LiPo battery with another. A single 18650 cell will give you a good (and real!) 2600mAh. If you consider the "350mAh" (could be false) gives you ~1hr40, 2600mAh will give you a good 12 hours.

OP
OP
Armegatron

Armegatron

drsquirrel said:
I've not actually tried it, but from the mode it goes into when plugged in, it might not record whilst on charge. Other people have said it won't record whilst "charging" too.

If you want a longer life on it, you'll want to open it and replace the 350mAh 3.7v LiPo battery with another. A single 18650 cell will give you a good (and real!) 2600mAh. If you consider the "350mAh" (could be false) gives you ~1hr40, 2600mAh will give you a good 12 hours.

:smile: 12 hours! That would just encourage me to never bother charging it and then it be more likely to run out when I need it :smile:

I have a USB cable Ive hacked to remove the data wires, leaving just power to charge it and see if it will allow charging & recording before I buy a AA-battery emergency charger. Ill keep you informed how I get on with it, should be an interesting project.

Would the 18650 cell be ok with charging via USB though (I would imagine it should as its LiPo for LiPo replacement)?

mike.pembo said:
:smile: 12 hours! That would just encourage me to never bother charging it and then it be more likely to run out when I need it :smile:

I have a USB cable Ive hacked to remove the data wires, leaving just power to charge it and see if it will allow charging & recording before I buy a AA-battery emergency charger. Ill keep you informed how I get on with it, should be an interesting project.

Would the 18650 cell be ok with charging via USB though (I would imagine it should as its LiPo for LiPo replacement)?

If it takes 1hr to charge though, the new one would take 7hrs.

This assumes that the internal battery charges to 4.2v like a large 18650 would, as wiring it up directly inside you are unlikely to have a very forgiving voltage regulator like you would with the USB charging circuit.

If you didn't want so long, there is the CR123A which is about half the size of it. Or even the "AA" and "AAA" sized ones, obviously not to be used in places where you would normally use AA/AAA as they are 3.7v. 14500 and 10440 are the sizes I mean.

If you are building a case you could make a battery slot, have a spare in a charger at home, and swap them over (although shouldn't charge lithium unattended if you can avoid it).

The charging circuit in the camera should be okay as it will just charge up to a set voltage (and a good one will lower the charge rate as it nears completion). But if you want to hack one around, "external" battery could charge much faster in house.

I'm not even sure if it will charge without data, as I have some of these emergency chargers, some with USB out too (that power off AA).

I will test my record+charge right now.....................

.......doesn't work. It won't start recording if its charging, and if you plug it in whilst recording it "stops". (I assume you lose the entire video segment just like you would if the battery runs out mid 30 minute segment). This also matches what other people have previously said when questioned.

How many hours do you commute in the week? If its enough to get a battery to last for, then you can do all your charging on the weekend (same for bike lights and other stuff).

I don't think there is too much of a problem if you have more than one MUVI...I just wonder how long they last before the battery wears out and loses it's charge holding capacity.

NigC

mike.pembo said:

So, just out of interest: Did you have any problem? :smile: Sorry :smile:

Yeah, it looked like he was genuinely sorry and a little surprised at what happened. Obviously not really paying attention, thinking he'd stopped when probably still rolling a bit. Decent enough bloke and no need for him to burn in hell :biggrin:

benb

Evidence based cyclist
mike.pembo said:
:biggrin: 12 hours! That would just encourage me to never bother charging it and then it be more likely to run out when I need it :laugh:

How about solar panels on your back rack?

OP
OP
Armegatron

Armegatron

drsquirrel said:
I will test my record+charge right now.....................

.......doesn't work. It won't start recording if its charging, and if you plug it in whilst recording it "stops". (I assume you lose the entire video segment just like you would if the battery runs out mid 30 minute segment). This also matches what other people have previously said when questioned.

How many hours do you commute in the week? If its enough to get a battery to last for, then you can do all your charging on the weekend (same for bike lights and other stuff).

Thanks for checking. Looks like Ill be getting the soldering iron out :laugh: I do about 7.5 hours of commuting a week so the 18650 cell might be an option. Ill probably buy this (http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.20392) after I get the camera. The other idea is finding an old mobile phone and using the 3.7v ~1000mAh battery from that - and just charge it by using the mobile phone and its charger.

benb said:
How about solar panels on your back rack?

I was thinking of one of these http://www.firebox.com/product/1796/FreeLoader-Solar-Charger but reviews are mixed to its performance.

I base my battery choice on a "shoot out" from light reviews.

http://light-reviews.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=513

And thus I have gone for "UltraFire 2600mAh, Protected". They come in at $10 a pair, whereas the 3000mAh are $15 a pair so you are paying 50% more for little extra, and you have the drop off starting sooner, which will act differently with a low powered device like the camera.

Old mobile battery will probably have limited life because of it's age.

I also rely on this because it verifies the capacity, although they can vary so if you can test yours, do so.

Top Bottom