Rear hub/loss of power

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

km991148

Hi,

been a while since I have been on here, but looking for some advice;

This morning after navigating the ice and getting some good road, I lost power (the bike not me!) on the rear wheel (i.e. gear engaged and wheels not spinning when pedaling).

I passed a lbs and they told me it is a whole new rear wheel I need (which I didnt/still dont beleive). I suspect its a new rear hub I need and I beleive this is changeable on my hybrid (2007 globe).

Would this sound about right (I know remote diagnosis is near impossible, but looking for any clues as to what I should look at)?

I gather this is a simple enough task, but to save time, I may go to a different lbs and would like to know roughly what I am taliing about.

Also, I have only had the bike for 2ish years, and havent rally punnished it (moderate 10miles per day commute, a little training, no kerb jumping etc) is this the normal lifetime of a rear hub (a Shimano M-530 Deore from what I can gather)?

I did go a little gung ho with some gunk degreaser about 6months ago, so maybe I have stripped bearings of grease, could it be a simple as bearings needing replaced, or are they separate to the hub and the 'power'

Also, if I take it to lbs, wont they put a crappier hub on than can found online, or will it not really matter for this type of bike. What are the benefits of a more expensive part?

Would appreciate any info, sorry for my lack of terminology!

Cheers,
km

Landslide

Rare Migrant
Were you pedalling, but no engagement? (i.e. chain going round, rear cogs just spinning freely and not driving the wheel round)

Sounds like your freehub may have frozen up, with the result that the pawls aren't engaging. Try warming the wheel up, then trying it again to see if the drive engages.

There's some good advice here on servicing and "winterizing" freehubs.

OP
OP
K

km991148

Landslide said:
Were you pedalling, but no engagement? (i.e. chain going round, rear cogs just spinning freely and not driving the wheel round)

yep thats whats happening, I normal have my bike uindoors, but lost the key so has been out for last few nights (the coldest so far where I am!).

This morning I had to push down a few small roads (skinny tyres-no good, I felt the pain the other day!) and then managed to cycle 200yards then it went, so maybe I have already done damage?

I had been in 3-7 (I know, not correct term, but basically the stiffest 'gear' but 1) to try and get a it of traction (dont like ot admit it but been cr@ping myself since I fell..) so could that have something to do with it?
Bike is indoors now, so will test at lunch time;

thanks

Landslide

Rare Migrant
km991148 said:
...managed to cycle 200yards then it went, so maybe I have already done damage?

Yeah, I've had that happen to me too, part way through a ride. If it's just the cold, it shouldn't have done any permanent damage.

OP
OP
K

km991148

Landslide said:
Yeah, I've had that happen to me too, part way through a ride. If it's just the cold, it shouldn't have done any permanent damage.

m8, you are a genius! thank you, she is alive and well now! (been inside for about 2 hours now)

I am going to clean her down properly this weekend I promise!!

(should I be refering it to 'her' and 'she' on a public forum - I dont care - I will not have to face a 2hr walk in ice tonight!!)

Also - cant beleive that shop tried to pass off a whole new wheel - I aint the most technical, but I know a few basics - enough to tell he was talkin sh!t - if that were someone else, they would be 70euro (I am in dublin now) ligher..

Thanks again :angry:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Happened to me last year.... bike had been out in the wet, then into a cold garage.

Walked to a clear road...no drive.....bugger. Went home, got changed, freehub had de-iced in the 10 minutes....

Worth 'blagging' permission to keep the bike somewhere warm when it get's this cold, so to dry out any moisture which may freeze.

gbb

Legendary Member
Glad its sorted, it did sound like a classic freehub problem.
They can play up, even in the summer, then work ok for ages. I had a Bianchi that did that in the summer occasionally, just spinning the cranks and going nowhere. Then it'd bite and i'd be away again. Only happened occasionally, then didnt happen at all.
Assuming its a standard wheel, you should be able to buy a new freehub and replace it reasonably easily. Freehubs aren't that expensive (£10 to £15 maybe). Even if the LBS did it, i certainly wouldnt expect to buy a new wheel.

OP
OP
K

km991148

fossyant said:
Happened to me last year.... bike had been out in the wet, then into a cold garage.

Walked to a clear road...no drive.....bugger. Went home, got changed, freehub had de-iced in the 10 minutes....

Worth 'blagging' permission to keep the bike somewhere warm when it get's this cold, so to dry out any moisture which may freeze.

Yeah there are storage rooms under the appartments I normally use them, but lost the key, but found it now, all I need to do is negotiate the permafrosted downhill ramp to the underground car park!

gbb said:
Glad its sorted, it did sound like a classic freehub problem.
They can play up, even in the summer, then work ok for ages. I had a Bianchi that did that in the summer occasionally, just spinning the cranks and going nowhere. Then it'd bite and i'd be away again. Only happened occasionally, then didnt happen at all.
Assuming its a standard wheel, you should be able to buy a new freehub and replace it reasonably easily. Freehubs aren't that expensive (£10 to £15 maybe). Even if the LBS did it, i certainly wouldnt expect to buy a new wheel.
Been my first experience of it only been at this cycling lark for 2-3years, I do most things on the bike tho, and will try any job really, but never had the hub off of the wheel, but had an incling that the guy talking mince, just wasnt 100% confident to argue in the shop.. anyway, will know to avoid in future..

thanks again all!

Davidc

Guru
Nothing new - it used to happen with the older freewheels as well.

OP
OP
K

km991148

Norm said:
Is this another issue which could be resolved by peeing on it? :biggrin:

Ha! It went again on the way home (after stopping at shops for 10 mins in -4) and was thinking about going down that route, I chickened out and asked a garage for a cup of hot water..

gbb

Legendary Member
Davidc said:
Was to me when I first met it 40+ years ago, very alarming and not nice. I've never found a cure for it.

Assuming you're talking about freewheels here, it's only happened to me two or three times in all my cycling life.
First time was when i was about 13. Perhaps that was the first time i began to tinker with things (unwittingly, i've since become a maintenance engineer so perhasps the flair was always there).
Spinning cranks, no drive...hmmm there must be a ratchet in there. There's a locking ring with two dimples...so out comes a pin punch and hammer.
The upshot was its simply two small pawls held by a single spring ring. Strip, clean, lube re-assemble...and away you go :sad:...just watch out for the multitude of tiny ball bearings :biggrin:

Mind, it used to make a mess of the lockring...hitting boggery out of it with a hammer and punch.

D

Deleted member 1258

Over the years I have had to strip screw on blocks several times because the pawls were sticking. Never had to do it with a modern cassette, has anyone else had to strip a modern one? what are they like to do?

Top Bottom