Rear Hubs Making a Horrible Noise?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BIGSESAL

For the last few weeks I have been unable to ride due to other commitments. However, today I got on the bike and went on a ride. Before going out I had cleaned the bike down and slightly adjusted both deraileurs slightly.

During the ride I heard a large cracking/popping/grinding noise coming from the rear wheel. I eventually ditched the ride and pushed the bike a couple of miles home.

Once I got home I inspected the bike. The noise only appeared when I spun the rear wheel and continued when I stopped pushing the pedals. The spokes all feel tight and the wheel rims are not hitting the breaks.

I have therefore concluded that it must be the hubs. I have had the bike for six months and have not serviced the hubs.

Has anyone had a similar problem? Is it likely to be the hubs? Is this a cheap/easy problem to fix?

Thanks,
Scott.

Randochap

Senior hunter
Hub or freehub.

PatrickPending

Legendary Member
its probably bearing related has happened to me in the past - in which case its simply a case of replacing the bearings (do them all at the same time with new ones from the same set). You'll see for sure what state the bearings are in when you take the axle out (and also if there is any grease left - it could be that the hub has dried out). Clean, re-grease and put new bearings in (they don't cost much) taking note of how many you need per side and of course getting the right size bearings.

at the same time look to see that the bearing races are in good nick - will be a bigger problem if they aren't

oh courtesy of Tyred on another post

http://sheldonbrown.com/tooltips/hubs.html

http://sheldonbrown.com/cone-adjustment.html

Globalti

Legendary Member
If they bike was new 6 months ago the bearings may have been inadequately greased on assembly and may have rusted up whle you weren't riding it.

tyred

Legendary Member
Rigid Raider said:
If they bike was new 6 months ago the bearings may have been inadequately greased on assembly and may have rusted up whle you weren't riding it.

That's an interesting one as according to the owner of my LBS, badly greased bearings is an increasingly common problem on new bikes straight from the factory. Never used to happen apparently.

jimboalee

Cones in factory built wheels these days have such a thin layer of case hardening, they don't last very long.

It is all in the name of economics in the heat-treat process.

Six months sounds VERY quick though. Do you do a lot of hill climbing?

yello

Do you have mudguards? Before you start taking hubs apart, just check it's not a mudguard stay/clip come loose and rubbing on the tyre.

Top Bottom