Rear light advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Simba1off

Hi
I have a Scott P3 fitted with a Tortec pannier rack. The problem is that when I've fitted the panniers, there is no where to fit the light. However on the back of the pannier rack are a number of holes and was hoping that somebody would have a solution for fitting a rear light.
Thanks
Mark

I use a Smart 1/2 watt light mounted on one of these as my main rear light: cheap and seems to fit most (all?) of the Smart lights.

The Minoura SpaceGrip is an option.

What you do is fit the metal bracket and the end piece to the rack.

This can then be rotated horizontally of vertically and then attach any seatpost light.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Rack Light - Raleigh have just brought out a version of their RSP Astrum (2 x 1/2 watt and 2 x standard LEDS) which has two bolt pannier mounts (and seat and stay mounts as well). It's 50% larger, takes AA's (not AAA's as advertised - so lasts longer) and it's available rather cheaply from Parkers of Bolton - it's called the Dual 1/2 watt.

I've just got one as I'm sick of my Mars 4.0 catching when I remove my MTX bag (it's on a sliding system).

Here

It's very good - only £8.99 plus postage.Oh and is visible from 180 degrees !

Rack Light - Raleigh have just brought out a version of their RSP Astrum (2 x 1/2 watt and 2 x standard LEDS) which has two bolt pannier mounts (and seat and stay mounts as well). It's 50% larger, takes AA's (not AAA's as advertised - so lasts longer) and it's available rather cheaply from Parkers of Bolton - it's called the Dual 1/2 watt.

I've just got one as I'm sick of my Mars 4.0 catching when I remove my MTX bag (it's on a sliding system).

Here

It's very good - only £8.99 plus postage.Oh and is visible from 180 degrees !

Ooh, now that looks very nice. might have to get one...

Paul_L

Über Member
Ooh, now that looks very nice. might have to get one...

+1

Holdsworth

Über Member
I have just ordered one. Hopefully it will be a bit more visible than my current rear light which is a cheap 2xaaa thing. Maybe running the two in tandem, one flashing, one steady would be best?

The price isn't half bad, £10.90 with delivery. I think I could do with a MagicShine MJ-808 now to complement it
biggrin.gif

andrew_s

Legendary Member
The holes in the rear rack are designed for the big wide lights that also incorporate a rear reflector.
Reflectors are compulsory, and also what will make you visible if you let the batteries get feeble (easily done if you only check the brightness when you turn the light on, when the batteries have had a good rest).
Most matching lights are dynamo, but there are a fair number of battery versions - eg B+M, B+M, An Lun

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Hi
I have a Scott P3 fitted with a Tortec pannier rack. The problem is that when I've fitted the panniers, there is no where to fit the light. However on the back of the pannier rack are a number of holes and was hoping that somebody would have a solution for fitting a rear light.
Thanks
Mark

I have a Tortec Expedition Rack which has a plate for lights on the back. I have a Cateye TL-LD1100 light which is quite noticable and has two sideways pointing LEDs on each side, as will as six pointing backwards. To mount it to the 50mm spaced holes on the rack plate, you need a Cateye "Rear rack mount bracket" part number #534-2250.

The light takes a couple of AA cells.

Hope this helps.

Cletus Van Damme

Previously known as Cheesney Hawks
Whatever you do, do not use the Topeak route, I bought their plastic bracket for my topeak pannier rack to fit my Redlite UFO to. The fitting on the light is crap and does not click into the plastic bracket. First time I used it this morning to commute to work and the light is gone, probably going over some stupid pothole. So I will be buying one of the recommendations off here, just hope it is better than that piece of sh1t Topeak effort :angry:

Top Bottom