Rear light question about use?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

KneesUp

Guru
It's harder to judge the distance, it might be in the "off" phase when someone not looking properly looks in your direction and, most importantly, it identifies you sooner as a bloody cyclist who they can ignore/abuse/mistreat with impunity rather than a motorcycle or moped which could damage their vehicle.
Flashing lights don't meet the relevant legislation for bike lights though, I don't think, so presumably we've all got a solid light too ...

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Flashing lights don't meet the relevant legislation for bike lights though, I don't think, so presumably we've all got a solid light too ...
I'm getting to be like the @Yellow Saddle for lights... since an amendment in 2005, flashing lights can meet the regulations but only if they don't have any steady mode, flash evenly between one and four times a second and aren't extremely dim.

OP
OP
Stevec047

Stevec047

Über Member
Thanks for all the comments. So the concensus is a solid light on a low setting with a flashing light again low setting unless the weather or light conditions mean putting it on a higher setting.

Seems to be a case of using a bit of common sense and to air of the side of caution.

I tend to ride with a flashing rear when riding solo but when in a group tend not to bother as a group of 4 to 6 bikes is a bit more obvious than a single rider.

bikeman66

It's harder to judge the distance, it might be in the "off" phase when someone not looking properly looks in your direction and, most importantly, it identifies you sooner as a bloody cyclist who they can ignore/abuse/mistreat with impunity rather than a motorcycle or moped which could damage their vehicle.
You can't legislate for people's thoughts on how they react to cyclists (once a flashing LED has potentially identified them as such). Whatever pattern of light you are running, if someone is going to make a conscious decision to abuse you or treat you with impunity having just identified you as a cyclist, then there is a problem that no back light can remedy. Surely the primary issue is just making sure you get seen, so that other road users, whether perfectly reasonable citizens or idiots, can make a conscious decision to avoid an accident. For the record, I use a Moon Comet R on low power constant mode (10 lumens), backed up with a Lezyne Femto Drive on flashing. If a driver sees that combination and makes a decision to purposely cut me up or verbally abuse me, then I'm pretty well shafted anyway aren't I? Most drivers see the lights and avoid you like they would avoid everything else on the road.

mjr

You can't legislate for people's thoughts on how they react to cyclists (once a flashing LED has potentially identified them as such). Whatever pattern of light you are running, if someone is going to make a conscious decision to abuse you or treat you with impunity having just identified you as a cyclist, then there is a problem that no back light can remedy.
No, but why give them more time to plan and position themselves to cause you maximum trouble at least inconvenience to them? Steady red light means another vehicle but a flashing red light means only bloody cyclist.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I use the lights when visibility is compromised by either light levels or poor weather. There's no proven benefit in their use during good visibility daylight. One solid front and rear, one flashing front and rear, all bases covered.
Hate to admit it but I agree with @Drago here. Was running two rears and a single front up until about 12 months ago (two rears, one flash and one steady so if one failed I would still be lit). I added a steady front to the previous single flashing light due to all the suggestions that flashing lights were difficult for drivers to place. I have suffered no less stupid driver incidents but at least I now have cast iron confidence that they have no reason not to see me provided they actually bother to look!

No, but why give them more time to plan and position themselves to cause you maximum trouble at least inconvenience to them? Steady red light means another vehicle but a flashing red light means only bloody cyclist.
Not wanting to turn this in to a helmet thread but @mjr I am surprised you ever leave the house in case 'they' get you. Is your helmet wrapped in foil?

Ajax Bay

Guru
@mjr - you are recommending against displaying flashing rear lights:
it might be in the "off" phase when someone not looking properly looks in your direction and, most importantly, it identifies you sooner as a bloody cyclist who they can ignore/abuse/mistreat with impunity rather than a motorcycle or moped which could damage their vehicle.
and ask:
why give them more time to plan and position themselves to cause you maximum trouble at least inconvenience to them?
You are paranoid and may need help - please, please, take this in the constructive manner that I intend. Maybe giving up cycling would remove the risk you presumably feel rises as you sense each successive vehicle approaching from behind. I suppose writing/typing up your fears may be therapeutic for you, though
I worry that vulnerable readers of such comments may have their fears reinforced.

I note that the premise in your rhetorical question is that flashing lights increase the distance at which a bike displaying rear flashing lights will likely be detected.
I'm getting to be like the @Yellow Saddle for lights
Don't kid yourself: @Yellow Saddle knows what he's commenting about, and backs up his comments/opinions with factually based rationale.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
It's getting to be that time of year when I run rear lights all day. Not because I have any special theory about visibility, but because if I start in the dark I don't bother to switch them off. Batteries last fine and will get recharged when I get home.

mjr

Not wanting to turn this in to a helmet thread but @mjr I am surprised you ever leave the house in case 'they' get you. Is your helmet wrapped in foil?
No, it's in a box awaiting a destruction test because I never wear it. ;) I also don't suffer as many incidents since I switched to a big steady rear light.

@mjr - you are recommending against displaying flashing rear lights:
Please read the context. Someone asked the reasons against flashing lights and those are the reasons I've seen most commonly.

You are paranoid and may need help
At best, that's a deeply misguided thing to write and could be dangerous. At worst, it's using such things as pejoratives. I'm fairly familiar and comfortable with my mental health state as a consequence of my currently-incurable long-term illness and paranoia is not a condition that I've ever had. Not that it's really any of your business, but my mental health was last considered during a consultation on 7 September - have you had yours checked lately? I feel that this uncontrolled impulse to post a mental health diagnosis on a public website could be something worth exploring.

- please, please, take this in the constructive manner that I intend. Maybe giving up cycling would remove the risk you presumably feel rises as you sense each successive vehicle approaching from behind.
Please don't project your fears onto me. I'm alright and feel I have mitigated the risk sufficiently.

I note that the premise in your rhetorical question is that flashing lights increase the distance at which a bike displaying rear flashing lights will likely be detected.
No such premise - only that it increases the distance at which it's identifiable as a pedal cycle.

Ajax Bay

Guru
That's a good healthy response, @mjr . Not paranoia then, perhaps just irrational feelings of persecution by motorists driving on the road behind you (as @I like Skol has also suggested)?
My attitude is that I have to assume that those behind me on the road are rational human beings who nearly always behave reasonably. Anything else would be wearing. Sometimes they pass too close, sometimes they cut in a bit, but I don't know this until they done so; and then it's done (cue expletive; pedal on; consider if I can ride better to reduce even further the chances of it happening again). Have I made sure I've maximised my visibility to them? Yes: light or bright coloured clothing and, in poorer conditions, a rear flashing light, maybe with a steady light as well (certainly at night). Very occasionally (and I live in as rural part of the country as you, but in a 30,000 population town) I get a 'punishment pass' and that can be very aggravating, but rarely can one do anything about it even if you go down the whole road of headcams/rear facing cams to capture such very rare activity, which I think can be unhealthy too.
Where else have you seen these sort of "reasons against flashing lights"? You said: "and those are the reasons I've seen most commonly."

Top Bottom