Rear light question about use?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Stevec047

Über Member
Last weekend I got caught out in a down pour and started to think about how best to use my rear lights.

I have a single barrel style led at the rear which has 3 settings high, low and flash. I now also have one of the aldi cob led lights which has for static settings from low to burn your eyes bright and 4 flash settings low to high and strobe.

Thing is what would the best settings be for example normal day riding in autumn, bad weather and night riding.

Do you go high power during the day and a lower setting at night I have no idea.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
If riding with other cyclists use low power so your not dazzling the rider behind you.
Som e would disagree but I think a flashing rear light is more eyecatching and defines you as a bike .

I usually use front and back lights in rain and allways at night .

being a belt and braces type I have two lights each end in case one fails.one on fixed one on flash.

Last edited:

winjim

Smash the cistern
Day: off.
Night: on, very very dimly (I use a 25ish year old Vistalite) but with good reflectors.
Bad weather: on if I happen to have it attached to the bike at the time and only if visibility is really really poor.

Basically I use my lights as little and as dimly as possible. Reflectors are far superior in most circumstances.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
On my COB light I use lowest setting (flash) at night* and keep the brightest setting for daytime use if I'm riding into a low sun.

*This is in addition to my steady B&M dynamo lights.

KneesUp

Guru
I have one solid and one flashing both in low sun and at dusk. I tend to have both on if it's properly dark, but I don't ride that often in proper darkness.

Banjo

Flashing for daylight riding, steady at night. There's nothing worse than a flashing rear light after dark, it takes a while to work out what it is and exactly where it is.
When I see a flashing red light ahead at night I know instantly its 99% sure to be a cyclist.

Banjo

Seriously though I have never understood why people say not to use flashing red lights at night.I see more flashing than steady lights out on the road and to me personally the flashing ones are more noticeable and less likely to blend in with all the other vehicle lights.

Last edited:

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Seriously though I have ever understood why people say not to use flashing red lights at night.I see more flashing than steady lights out on the road and to me personally the flashing ones are more noticeable and less likely to blend in with all the other vehicle lights.
It's harder to judge the distance, it might be in the "off" phase when someone not looking properly looks in your direction and, most importantly, it identifies you sooner as a bloody cyclist who they can ignore/abuse/mistreat with impunity rather than a motorcycle or moped which could damage their vehicle.

Top Bottom