Rear light with brake warning.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
It turns on and stays on manually, the brake light is an added bonus.

I think the "drone technology" is it's built in gyroscope.

It knows the difference between cycling up a hill and braking (and braking while cycling up a hill), ain't modern technology brilliant :laugh:.

Sounds interesting. Mrs @BoldonLad has more than once ridden into the back of me, because she has not realised I am braking, this may be useful. ;)

Reactions: C R
OP
OP
keithmac

keithmac

Guru
Sounds interesting. Mrs @BoldonLad has more than once ridden into the back of me, because she has not realised I am braking, this may be useful. ;)

Funnily enough main reason I bought this one is because my son follows me into work and has on occasion got pretty close.

Obviously the majority of the time I tell him when I'm slowling down bu there's been a few emergency stops now and then..

OP
OP
keithmac

keithmac

Guru
No because they will be able to see you are stopping quickly and brake accordingly. Their brain will not associate a slightly brighter rear light with that act. If they are too close and / or not paying attention. Then it’ll make no difference

I bought mine to help my son gauge what's happening when we are commuting on the bikes, not really bothered in the slightlest what car drivers think of it.

And it is significantly brighter when braking.

Do you drive a car yourself @Ming the Merciless ?

Last edited:

CXRAndy

Guru
My wifes bike has a dynamo setup with B&M lights. The rear is biright and has the function of acting like a brake light when she quickly decelerates with the increased back emf. My ebike has lyzene super bright rear light and its is really bright. Again brake function by mine is driven through switches in the brakes.

lazybloke

Considering a new username
If he can't read the road he shouldn't be so close.
And that's the problem - things happen that shouldn't. Some of those things are worth worrying about. Others less so. You have to take the precautions that are appropriate (or feel appropriate) to you.
See also- wearing a helmet because my wife wants me to, not because I think it will save me from massive concussion or crushing by the wheel of a bus or whatever.

(Although I do think a helmet might one day save me from a nasty scalp laceration or abrasion. )

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
In my 33+ years of driving I've been hit by a car 6 times. 5 of those I was stationary with the handbrake on - so no brake lights visible. I've also been hit when on a bike (although that was side on).

Which shows the driver was so careless and unobservant that your brake lights being on; would have made not a jot of difference.

Filed under driver can’t spot a car sized object is stationary ahead.

Last edited:

lazybloke

Considering a new username
Which shows the driver was so careless and unobservant that your brake lights being on; would have made not a jot of difference.

Filed under driver can’t spot a car sized object is stationary ahead.
Oh I agree that some drivers are so distracted that lights make no difference... but you surely don't mean all drivers?

As I've said, I've not bothered with a brake light on my bike- because for most of my riding I see no point. But some of my commuting was very stop-start in nature and the drivers behind certainly made my nervous.
I've even had cyclists screech and swearing because they've have to swerve round me when I've stopped; there's clearly a risk of collision, even if it's only a low risk. Don't see why you have a problem with that.

If you think brake lights are useless, I invite you to remove them from your car.

andrew_s

Legendary Member
My wifes bike has a dynamo setup with B&M lights. The rear is biright and has the function of acting like a brake light when she quickly decelerates with the increased back emf.
Brake function on dynamo rear lights is controlled by the change in frequency of the AC the generator is producing, so it's reacting to the change of road speed. I would imagine that the extra light comes from the standlight capacitor.
I found myself behind one on a twisty cycle track in Belgium one time, and found it handy enough as the following rider that I got one myself the next time I had cause to get a new rear light.

andrew_s

Legendary Member
yep - puts me in mind of those lights which supposedly come on automatically when it's dark and switch off when it's got light - asking for trouble.
Those work really well.

I doubt I've touched the manual on/off switch on my main bike much more than half a dozen times in the last 10 years.
Either daytime fog, railway platforms, or some helpful soul having tried to turn the standlight off, from what I remember.

Those work really well.

I doubt I've touched the manual on/off switch on my main bike much more than half a dozen times in the last 10 years.
Either daytime fog, railway platforms, or some helpful soul having tried to turn the standlight off, from what I remember.
do you check whether you rear is on?
sorry - I prefer to switch my own lights on when it's dark, off when light.
Also to preserve battery life.
When it rains I put a waterproof on.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Brake function on dynamo rear lights is controlled by the change in frequency of the AC the generator is producing, so it's reacting to the change of road speed. I would imagine that the extra light comes from the standlight capacitor.
I found myself behind one on a twisty cycle track in Belgium one time, and found it handy enough as the following rider that I got one myself the next time I had cause to get a new rear light.
They've come on a bit since I had one one the the 80's that powered by rubbing on th tyre sidewall. When you stopped that just went out! 🤣

andrew_s

Legendary Member
They've come on a bit since I had one one the the 80's that powered by rubbing on th tyre sidewall. When you stopped that just went out! 🤣
They have had standlights since LEDs became common - early 90s?
The problem I had was that if you locked the back wheel on a steep and slippery descent, it was the front light that went out. The front lights were filament bulbs a lot longer, and didn't have seeing by standlights even when they did start to appear.

Top Bottom