Rear light ????

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I agree. I worry more about getting hit from behind so that's why I always run rears night or day. To avoid SMIDSY. Pretty sure in general I get given more room.

Unfortunately you can't help some moronic car drivers. I have been out of action for over 2 months thanks to an idiot deciding to turn left, without indicating, or checking his mirrors. Annoyingly is was under 400 metres from my house and I was only travelling about 14 MPH.

Straight over bars to swerve out the way - nicely landing on my wrist and snapping the Scaphoid bone clean in two! Cheers
Ouch! The only times I have been hit from the rear though have been in broad daylight :-(

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
I bought some SMART front and rear lights once. I thought they were good until they fell apart. Lost 3 rear lights as the lenses came off the bodies as I went over uneven surfaces. Lugs broke. Awful build quality. Buy cheap buy twice. Exposure lights are the best on the market, very very bright and extremely well made.

I lost a Smart Lunar R2 rear light this week after the body came out of the holder. My second one now has blue electrical tape wrapped around it until I get a replacement - thinking of going for another cateye, saw a DL1100? recommended by @SatNavSaysStraightOn somewhere, so might try this, as long as it clips onto the saddle bag I will be happy.

I lost a Smart Lunar R2 rear light this week after the body came out of the holder. My second one now has blue electrical tape wrapped around it until I get a replacement - thinking of going for another cateye, saw a DL1100? recommended by @SatNavSaysStraightOn somewhere, so might try this, as long as it clips onto the saddle bag I will be happy.

TL-LD1100. It does connect to a clip on thing, but it is not one I personally would consider using that way. I think it may be too weighty but I do believe that it comes with a clip - so if it clips onto something sturdy (not a piece of material that will sag badly) then it "should" be OK.

The clip looks like this (with any light clipping into it on the rear of that picture.
s3303xx.jpg

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
TL-LD1100. It does connect to a clip on thing, but it is not one I personally would consider using that way. I think it may be too weighty but I do believe that it comes with a clip - so if it clips onto something sturdy (not a piece of material that will sag badly) then it "should" be OK.

The clip looks like this (with any light clipping into it on the rear of that picture.
View attachment 32159

Cheers, that will do the job, a bit of double sided velcro inside the clip will stop it bouncing off and the clip loop on the saddle bag is quite sturdy

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
That's exactly the type of fitting that will be vulnerable to vibrations and the whole light is likely to fall off. Don't bother with the Velcro, what a faff, just put an elastic band or a ziptie round the two ends of the clip.
Held me in good stead so far.

Anyway my second smart r2 packed up tonight, despite being cling filmed and wrapped in electrical tape the rain tonight got into it and it won't switch off. Pulled it all apart, hoping it dries out overnight

Crankarm

Guru
It depends how hard the LEDs are being driven, optics, angle etc. The Knog pushes them pretty hard - hence the poor battery life on the higher settings (only 4-5 hours) - battery capacity is also not huge either. My powerful rear light (a torch) pumps out 150 lumens, but only lasts for 95-100min mins as it is being driven at 1.4A.

I worry more about being hit from behind (hence two powerful rear lights), but it's more likely an incident/collision will happen in front of you. For that reason, I'd go with a powerful front light too!

A very bright rear light didn't stop a moton from knocking me down :sad:.

Crankarm

Guru
I agree. I worry more about getting hit from behind so that's why I always run rears night or day. To avoid SMIDSY. Pretty sure in general I get given more room.

Unfortunately you can't help some moronic car drivers. I have been out of action for over 2 months thanks to an idiot deciding to turn left, without indicating, or checking his mirrors. Annoyingly is was under 400 metres from my house and I was only travelling about 14 MPH.

Straight over bars to swerve out the way - nicely landing on my wrist and snapping the Scaphoid bone clean in two! Cheers

Ouch! Did the driver stop? If he did are you now suing him?

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
Held me in good stead so far.

Anyway my second smart r2 packed up tonight, despite being cling filmed and wrapped in electrical tape the rain tonight got into it and it won't switch off. Pulled it all apart, hoping it dries out overnight

Well the R2 worked fine this morning, until I got to work and again wouldn't turn off. Back on the radiator, only needs to survive three more trips then it can be an emergency light carried in the rucksack.

rovers1875

Veteran
Ebay type in silicone cycle lights I have dozens of these things or similar to the link below and they have all been excellent, very bright and dirt cheap check them out you won't regret it, even if they are only used as back up secondary lights, and because they just clip on any where they are easy to move or swap around.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-x-Cycli...K_SportGoods_CyclAcces_RL&hash=item2a33ae0f72

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
That's exactly the type of fitting that will be vulnerable to vibrations and the whole light is likely to fall off. Don't bother with the Velcro, what a faff, just put an elastic band or a ziptie round the two ends of the clip.

Took your advice, and have cable tied it to the bag

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member

View attachment 32159

Bought one this morning from the LBS - who were cheaper than Wiggle which was a bonus. Now fitted to the saddle bag.

2758708 said:
Streatch a turn or two of waterproof tape round the join to keep water out
never needed to with this light. had 3 over the last +10 years and only that many because there are 2 of us and 6 bikes and my OH has managed to get one stolen. somehow it is waterproof and has survived the worst Scotland & Scandinavia has thrown at myself & my OH.

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
Bloody light fell off today. Clip stayed on the saddle bag, but the light came out of the clip. Luckily I was in the park and it came off as I went by a couple of joggers who saw it and called me back. Now secured to the frame, sod the fact that the two rear lights are on top of each other

Top Bottom