Rear light ????

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

potsy

Rambler
I really like the Smart rear lights, got a few including the R1 and Superflash, never had a problem with them apart from my old favourite R2 that came out of it's bracket at 30mph down a steep hill, I didn't bother going back to pick up the pieces :sad:

MrJamie

Oaf on a Bike
I put a Smart R2 on either seatstay on one bike, just with the standard fittings and a bit of old innertube :smile: Really bright lights, also cheap and last quite a long time on a set of batteries.

Cateye do mounts that screw onto various pannier racks so you can fit their lights on, only cost a few quid :smile:

classic33

Leg End Member
Front Lamp
One is required, showing a white light, positioned centrally or offside, up to 1500mm from the ground, aligned towards and visible from the front. If capable of emitting a steady light, it must be marked as conforming to BS6102/3 or an equivalent EC standard.
If capable of emitting only a flashing light, it must emit at least 4 candela.
Rear Lamp
One is required, to show a red light, positioned centrally or offside, between 350mm and 1500mm from the ground, at or near the rear, aligned towards and visible from behind. If capable of emitting a steady light it must be marked as conforming to BS3648, or BS6102/3, or an equivalent EC standard.

Part of the certification process involves the construction. Modify how the manufacturer has put the thing together & it will no longer meet the required standard(s). Try sending a light back, as being faulty, after you've modified it and see what happens.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
Front Lamp
One is required, showing a white light, positioned centrally or offside, up to 1500mm from the ground, aligned towards and visible from the front. If capable of emitting a steady light, it must be marked as conforming to BS6102/3 or an equivalent EC standard.
Rear Lamp
One is required, to show a red light, positioned centrally or offside, between 350mm and 1500mm from the ground, at or near the rear, aligned towards and visible from behind. If capable of emitting a steady light it must be marked as conforming to BS3648, or BS6102/3, or an equivalent EC standard.

Part of the certification process involves the construction. Modify how the manufacturer has put the thing together & it will no longer meet the required standard(s). Try sending a light back, as being faulty, after you've modified it and see what happens.
You only require 1 light in either direction to be legal, any others you have do not need to follow the same standards or testing.
Considering that only a handful of lights on the market have passed any EC standards (next to none have passed the BS one), you are making an assumption that the light in question was legal in the first place. The light could be the backup to a legal light. ;)

classic33

Leg End Member
No assumption made, by me.
As you point out very few lights meet either European or the British Standard, & modifying how one was constructed would mean that if it did meet the required standard before modification, it wouldn't meet the required standard after modification. Because its no longer as per manufactured, making the light illegal.

StuUngar

I bought some SMART front and rear lights once. I thought they were good until they fell apart. Lost 3 rear lights as the lenses came off the bodies as I went over uneven surfaces. Lugs broke. Awful build quality. Buy cheap buy twice. Exposure lights are the best on the market, very very bright and extremely well made.

Have had rear Smart rear lights ever since I got into cycling over 3 years ago. Never had a problem with the rear lights at all. No water ingress and definitely none of them flying off - hard to see how possible?

The SMART rear I have is absolutely fine and well put together.

Yep

I really like the Smart rear lights, got a few including the R1 and Superflash, never had a problem with them apart from my old favourite R2 that came out of it's bracket at 30mph down a steep hill, I didn't bother going back to pick up the pieces :sad:

I can't see how they are going to come out the bracket on road as there is a nice positive click and lock. Maybe off road and really rough tracks could make it pop out - but then again why do you really need rear lights off road?!

I've bought the Smart rears cheap and keep going back for more. So much better than Cateye and the brackets are more or less universal between the ranges. Bit of canny shopping can get you 2 R1s or R2s for under £20. One on seatpost and one on a rear stay. No chance of a SMIDSY.

Might be worth mentioning that they have limited lifetime warranty so if they fail or go flying take it up with Fisher Outdoors.

StuUngar

Front Lamp
Rear Lamp

I take it this is the "legal" requirements?

Who cares?

As a cyclist who uses lights and decent lights at that the most annoying thing is idiots not having any lights or pointless "lights" like Knog frogs and riding on the road.

I see about 99 / 1 people using no lights to lights that would be considered "illegal" or too bright. In fact I have NEVER seen a cyclist with too bright rear lights.

Calm down, it's only the law. Like the speed limit.

Origamist

Legendary Member
I have the Knog Blinder Road Rear Light as secondary light and I rate it highly. 5 modes and LEDs angled for seat post use.

Specs
  • 70 Lumens in strobe mode
  • Light Dimensions: W27mm x H76mm x D52mm
  • Weight: 52g
  • UV-Resistant, industrial-grade Silicone Rubber Body and Straps
  • Polycarbonate Housing
  • PMMA Lens
  • Anodised Aluminium Heat sink
  • Anodised Aluminium Fascia and solid Stainless Steel MIMLatch
  • Rechargeable Lithium Polymer (USB)
Cost: 32 quid - a bit over budget.

Downside: Can't clip to saddle bags or racks.

StuUngar

I have the Knog Blinder Road Rear Light as secondary light and I rate it highly. 5 modes and LEDs angled for seat post use.

Specs
  • 70 Lumens in strobe mode
  • Light Dimensions: W27mm x H76mm x D52mm
  • Weight: 52g
  • UV-Resistant, industrial-grade Silicone Rubber Body and Straps
  • Polycarbonate Housing
  • PMMA Lens
  • Anodised Aluminium Heat sink
  • Anodised Aluminium Fascia and solid Stainless Steel MIMLatch
  • Rechargeable Lithium Polymer (USB)
Cost: 32 quid - a bit over budget.

Downside: Can't clip to saddle bags or racks.

This seems better value at £17.99 http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/380752934091?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

1 Watt, USB rechargeable, limited lifetime warranty, clip to fit anywhere.

StuUngar

Def better mounting options - just not as bright.

Pretty damn bright to my eyes. Is there are Lumen / Watt formula of comparison chart?

As long as it does for you it's all good. To my mind rear lights when on road are actually more important than fronts...

Origamist

Legendary Member
Pretty damn bright to my eyes. Is there are Lumen / Watt formula of comparison chart?

As long as it does for you it's all good. To my mind rear lights when on road are actually more important than fronts...

It depends how hard the LEDs are being driven, optics, angle etc. The Knog pushes them pretty hard - hence the poor battery life on the higher settings (only 4-5 hours) - battery capacity is also not huge either. My powerful rear light (a torch) pumps out 150 lumens, but only lasts for 95-100min mins as it is being driven at 1.4A.

I worry more about being hit from behind (hence two powerful rear lights), but it's more likely an incident/collision will happen in front of you. For that reason, I'd go with a powerful front light too!

Last edited:

StuUngar

It depends how hard the LEDs are being driven, optics, angle etc. The Knog pushes them pretty hard - hence the poor battery life on the higher settings (only 4-5 hours) - battery capacity is also not huge either. My powerful rear light (a torch) pumps out 150 lumens, but only lasts for 95 mins as it is being driven at 1.4A.

I worry more about being hit from behind (hence two powerful rear lights), but it's more likely an incident/collision will happen in front of you. For that reason, I'd go with a powerful front light too!

I agree. I worry more about getting hit from behind so that's why I always run rears night or day. To avoid SMIDSY. Pretty sure in general I get given more room.

Unfortunately you can't help some moronic car drivers. I have been out of action for over 2 months thanks to an idiot deciding to turn left, without indicating, or checking his mirrors. Annoyingly is was under 400 metres from my house and I was only travelling about 14 MPH.

Straight over bars to swerve out the way - nicely landing on my wrist and snapping the Scaphoid bone clean in two! Cheers

Origamist

Legendary Member
I agree. I worry more about getting hit from behind so that's why I always run rears night or day. To avoid SMIDSY. Pretty sure in general I get given more room.

Unfortunately you can't help some moronic car drivers. I have been out of action for over 2 months thanks to an idiot deciding to turn left, without indicating, or checking his mirrors. Annoyingly is was under 400 metres from my house and I was only travelling about 14 MPH.

Straight over bars to swerve out the way - nicely landing on my wrist and snapping the Scaphoid bone clean in two! Cheers

Sorry to hear about that. No amount of lumens will help if people don't look or don't give a xxxx.

Top Bottom