Rear lights that can be mounted on seatstays and angled the way you want them.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I have to ask, but why are you desperate to mount lights on the seatstays? IMO it isn't a great place due to the low height and the fact that at certain angles the wheel/tyre will obstruct the light for following road users. I would always run lights x 2 on the seatpost or at the back of a pannier rack for best visibility to others.

I have been running Smart lights for around 5-6yrs now but it seems they aren't made any more? This is the powerful one that I have on flashing and also the lower output 3 LED version on constant. Both mounted as high up the seatpost as possible (I don't wear any clothing that could hang down ad obscure them.

upload_2018-10-11_0-52-0.png

Seatpost lights can be obscured by long coats tails and large items on the rear rack top. Some bikes esp women's hybrid style have very little exposed seatpost, ie the user most likely to wear a long coat.
If you have a rack the best position is a bracket at the rear of the rack.
Seatstay position has it's problems but is better than obscured seatpost light.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Seatpost lights can be obscured by long coats tails and large items on the rear rack top. Some bikes esp women's hybrid style have very little exposed seatpost, ie the user most likely to wear a long coat.
If you have a rack the best position is a bracket at the rear of the rack.
Seatstay position has it's problems but is better than obscured seatpost light.
I think I covered this in my post? Also, it is only a hunch, but the OP doesn't sound like the type to be riding with long coat tails flapping behind him and I also guess doesn't have a pannier rack or wouldn't be trying to mount lights on the seatstays?

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Seatpost mounts suck because the rider can't quickly glance at the light to confirm all's well. I guess that's why so many seatpost mounters use more than one. Stay mounting is best if you've no rear rack mount IMO.

If the wheel/tyre can obstruct the light, the illuminated surface is probably too small to be much good anyway.

Threevok

Growing old disgracefully
I am shying away from a seat-stay lights as my rear MTB mudguard obscures most of them (although I do still keep a Knog Frog on it seatpost)

I do have a light and reflector on my bag though

OP
OP
r04DiE

r04DiE

300km a week through London on a road bike.
I have to ask, but why are you desperate to mount lights on the seatstays? IMO it isn't a great place due to the low height and the fact that at certain angles the wheel/tyre will obstruct the light for following road users. I would always run lights x 2 on the seatpost or at the back of a pannier rack for best visibility to others.

I have been running Smart lights for around 5-6yrs now but it seems they aren't made any more? This is the powerful one that I have on flashing and also the lower output 3 LED version on constant. Both mounted as high up the seatpost as possible (I don't wear any clothing that could hang down ad obscure them.

View attachment 433523
I am not desperate, I just like it as an extra option. I use a seat bag for long distance rides where I need to carry lots of stuff, which totally obscures the seatpost. I can clip a light to it but I would like more than just one rear light and the seatstays are the next best place to mount lights. It's nice if I can angle them just the way I want them for visibility.

Top Bottom