Rear Mech Compatablity

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
I am currently running a Sora set up on my road bike. Triple with and 8 speed cassette I am getting a lot of chatter from the rear mech and it tweets like a bird if I don't lubricate it regularly. It is pretty old and my first thought was new jockey wheels, LBS £8 then I noticed I can get a long cage sora mech for a tenner from CRC. Is it worth getting a slightly better mech some good deals at the moment on CRC maybe a 105 or better and will the Sora shifters be ok with a higher spec mech? :laugh:

MadoneRider1991

Über Member
Hacienda71 said:
I am currently running a Sora set up on my road bike. Triple with and 8 speed cassette I am getting a lot of chatter from the rear mech and it tweets like a bird if I don't lubricate it regularly. It is pretty old and my first thought was new jockey wheels, LBS £8 then I noticed I can get a long cage sora mech for a tenner from CRC. Is it worth getting a slightly better mech some good deals at the moment on CTC maybe a 105 or better and will the Sora shifters be ok with a higher spec mech? :laugh:

they could be :laugh:

OP
OP
Hacienda71

Hacienda71

TheDoctor said:
Sora will work any Shimano rear mech. However, I'm not sure if 8 speed chain will go through a 10 speed mech properly...

Thanks for that, if I do go for an upgrade I will check it is 8 speed compatible.:laugh:

OP
OP
Hacienda71

Hacienda71

A couple of them which are 9 speed say they are compatible with 8 speed, so if i do go down an upgrade route I will choose one of those subject to them having the right cage size for a triple and 11 to 26t on the cassette.

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid
Mechs are a bit stupid. They do what they are told to do by the sifter in charge of them. I've used a Shimano MTB 200gs (which i reckon is about 20 years old) rear mech on a ten speed road bike and it worked fine. No problems.

Any 105 mech will work fine with what you are thinking of doing Hacienda.

Manonabike

Über Member
Steve Austin said:
Mechs are a bit stupid. They do what they are told to do by the sifter in charge of them. I've used a Shimano MTB 200gs (which i reckon is about 20 years old) rear mech on a ten speed road bike and it worked fine. No problems.

Any 105 mech will work fine with what you are thinking of doing Hacienda.

I understand what you are saying BUT I think thedoctor was thinking the 8 speed chain might be to wide for the 105 RD cage. As it happens, I can confirm that an 8 speed chain is fine for a 105 10 speed RD, I'm running that combination at the moment.

Top Bottom