Rear Pannier rack for a compact frameset

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sagefly

Veteran
I'm looking for recommendations for a rear rack for a Giant Defy 2 2011 model.

All of the racks I've looked at have issues attaching the rack to the seat stays as the brake caliper is in the way and the bracket wont attach.

Can anyone recommend a solution?

Many thanks

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I'm looking for recommendations for a rear rack for a Giant Defy 2 2011 model.

All of the racks I've looked at have issues attaching the rack to the seat stays as the brake caliper is in the way and the bracket wont attach.

Can anyone recommend a solution?

Many thanks
Would a Tortec Expedition rack suit you? Here's a stock picture from Google. Mine's on a Specialized Secteur (sometimes)
Tortec%20Expedition%20rear%20rack.jpg
and it's worked really well for about ten years.

OP
OP
sagefly

sagefly

Veteran
Thanks for the answer, it look as though the brake calipers would still prevent the left attachment from bolting to the seat stay. But looks an option.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Would a Tortec Expedition rack suit you? Here's a stock picture from Google. Mine's on a Specialized Secteur (sometimes) View attachment 485534 and it's worked really well for about ten years.

Thanks for the answer, it look as though the brake calipers would still prevent the left attachment from bolting to the seat stay. But looks an option.
I run a similar rack with just one top attatchement, as long s your not carting loads its fine

Smaller compact frames often have the seatstay eyelets too low. Is this the issue you are having with brake interference,?
Post of photo close up of the saddle seatstay area.

OP
OP
sagefly

sagefly

Veteran
Smaller compact frames often have the seatstay eyelets too low. Is this the issue you are having with brake interference,?
Post of photo close up of the saddle seatstay area.

I think that this my be the issue, is there a work around that anyone knows of?

You could have some metal stays fabricated. You can have metal go up to clear the brakes, then horizontal back to the rack ie L shaped.
Or fit a seapost clamp with integral eyelets.

Last edited:

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Am I right in thinking that your Defy may not have the mounting points on the seat stays?

This Defy does, but I think that some of the higher end ones do not.

giant_defy_303.jpg

If it does not then you can replace the seat post collar with mounting points built in.

Giant-QR-Seat-Collar-With-Rack-Mounting_19625_1_Supersize.jpg

OP
OP
sagefly

sagefly

Veteran
Thanks Milk float I'm leaning heavily to the seat clamp option, my set stay lugs are a little lower.

I expect that back in 2011 there was a "proper" rack option

Top Bottom