Rear trike light out wide

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

trickletreat

Veteran
I use the trike to tow a trailer, carrying my daughter to and from school.

The trike has fitted as standard Busch and Muller front and rear lights, run off a bottle dynamo. The lights are very good with LED backup. The bottle dynamo is however damaged. If I can find a solution to the following then I will replace the dyno.

The problem is that the rear light will just blind my daughter in her trailer, so I would like to mount it to the right of my shoulder. I am sure I saw a similar set up on the internet but can"t find the pic. Can anyone point me in the right direction. From memory it was a tidy conversion for mounting lights out wide.

I do have further lighting, two tescos torches to the front, and three LED's on the trailer. The trailer LED's are nowhere near as good as the trikes fitted rear light.

Depending on the frame of the trailer, a dynamo light can be fitted.

We fitted a cheap dynamo to the trailer wheel and then a rear light to the "jogging bar", although there are plenty of mounting places available.

Then utilise the full power of the dynamo by replacing the bulb with a 2.4 or 3 watt bulb.

Incredibly bright light for motorists and stays with the trailer.

OP
OP
trickletreat

trickletreat

Veteran
Thanks for the reply. I hadn't considered fitting a dynamo to the trailer itself, but might be able to used the damaged dyno from the trike for that. [ the dyno will not locate away from the in contact with tyre position ].
I still can't remember where I saw the custom built lighting bar pic, I think the bar was attached to the trike seat, extending up and out to the side, allowing forward and rear facing lights to be fitted.

spiro

Dene said:
There is a picture on the ICE owners gallery that has a raised light bar attached to the seat. http://www.ice.hpv.co.uk/images/q_owners_slideshow_big.html (Q owners slide 34).
Looking at this, I dont know if the seat tubing is the right diameter but fitting bar ends to the top of the seat frame on either side might also give you a good mounting point for 2 lights on each side, 1 forward and 1 rear facing.

OP
OP
trickletreat

trickletreat

Veteran
Dene said:
There is a picture on the ICE owners gallery that has a raised light bar attached to the seat. http://www.ice.hpv.co.uk/images/q_owners_slideshow_big.html (Q owners slide 34).

Cheers, thats the one I had seen, just could not remember where. Thanks re the bar end idea but I don't think it will project beyond width of the trailer, but I will check it out.

IMG_4732.jpg

IMG_4692.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_4732.jpg
    IMG_4732.jpg
    118.6 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_4692.jpg
    IMG_4692.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 32

dataretriever

I've got a couple of these clamps I bought in Germany, you're welcome to have one and use it to mount your light bar if you think it would work. The site is in German but it's essentially a figure eight clamp with spacers to fit a variety of tube sizes. PM if you're interested.

spiro

Given that you have a mesh seat another option could be to get a length of tubing and secure is to the top bar that is across the back of the seat. You would then be able to make it was wide as you like. If you use a tube that is the same diameter as handbars then any bar mounting would be useable on it. If you cover it in a reflective coating it would help when you dont have the trailer attached to ensure drivers realise that the rear light they see is not two or three bikes.

OP
OP
trickletreat

trickletreat

Veteran
dataretriever said:
I've got a couple of these clamps I bought in Germany, you're welcome to have one and use it to mount your light bar if you think it would work. The site is in German but it's essentially a figure eight clamp with spacers to fit a variety of tube sizes. PM if you're interested.

Thanks for your kind offer, I think i will probably try something that comes out of the mesh seat tube { old legs from a plastic stacking chair perhaps } or do as spiro suggests, which would make using bike light brackets easier and tidy. From the pics you may see a tube with lights at the top rear of the trailer, its a section of tubing from a caravan brush, right diameter and light weight.

Once again thanks for info and ideas...one of the reasons I registered here.

Hi. I use a 12V 20W Dichtoric (a ceiling downliter bulb and reflector combined) with a red plastic reflector glued over the top. I run this off a small 12V 5Ah or 7Ah rechargeable battery which you can get from Maplins. All this is supported on 20mm plastic electrical conduit. The light it, excuse the pun, brilliant! It's akin to the rear fog lamp on a car, very very bright. Should be dead easy to mount on a trailer or on the trike. If you need more info or one making up call me on 07909971551

OP
OP
trickletreat

trickletreat

Veteran
Bentley Roller said:
Hi. I use a 12V 20W Dichtoric (a ceiling downliter bulb and reflector combined) with a red plastic reflector glued over the top. I run this off a small 12V 5Ah or 7Ah rechargeable battery which you can get from Maplins. All this is supported on 20mm plastic electrical conduit. The light it, excuse the pun, brilliant! It's akin to the rear fog lamp on a car, very very bright. Should be dead easy to mount on a trailer or on the trike. If you need more info or one making up call me on 07909971551

Thanks for your info and offer, googled your info and came up with lots more ideas and applications.

Top Bottom