Rear wheel moving over in dropout

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Titanium has a very tough surface and you need all the grip you can get from the advised proper qr skewers.
Usually vertical dropouts are shaped so the axle butts up against the forward edge and any pulling forward can be resisted by the dropout. Sloping slots encourage the axle to drift unless kept firmly in place.
I use horizontal dropouts in steel and have never experienced drifting axle

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I use horizontal dropouts in steel and have never experienced drifting axle
I used to get this problem with my steel bike. I thought it was just an occupational hazard of using QRs with horizontal dropouts, until I mashed the low quality QR I was using to death (and I'm hardly Charles Atlas). I replaced it with a lovely Shimano internal cam QR and the problems ceased.

Does some kind soul have a pic/diagram which shows the difference between internal cam and the other sort?

Not something I have ever given much thought but I think I'm about to be educated.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Does some kind soul have a pic/diagram which shows the difference between internal cam and the other sort?

Not something I have ever given much thought but I think I'm about to be educated.

Internal, basically there is a nut on one end, and the lever goes straight into it - you don't see a cam.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
qr.jpg

Like this

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Here you go you bunch of lazy slackers.
"Never close a quick release wheel by rotating the lever in the dropouts"

I've seen a few people who thought that was how you did it - and none would believe me when I told them it was wrong.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Confusingly, DT now use something on their hubs that looks like a QR but is actually a wingnut with only one wing. It's spring-loaded so you can even leave it to rest in the same position as a QR lever. They must reckon people are too stupid to use a real QR these days.

Among Campag nerds, the 1960s straight levers are preferred, probably because they were banned by the American CPSC and are therefore cool.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
"Lawyers' lips" are partially responsible for people learning to tighten skewers the wrong way.

My Ti frame suffered from rear axle movement (mostly just a creak). I completely solved it by using security skewers as illustrated by Raleighnut.

Top Bottom