Rear Wheel Punctures on a Trike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
What do you do? You can't tip it upside down or lay it on it's side when you take the wheel out and I don't fancy resting it on the mech when the wheel is out. It's going to happen sooner or later so how do you experience tripod jockeys handle it?

Agethon

Regular
If was my ICE trike and I could not find any thing to prop up the rear frame I would un clip the seat and use, that resting on its side I suppose....

....I run the risk of a puncture on the trike, ie - no spares or tools, but am never more than around 45 minutes from home on a typical jaunt. In the years I've been triking, had 2 slow punctures that I fixed back at home. If complete flat on route I'd call missus to come and collect. I run Big Apples all round and they have protection that seems pretty good to me. For sure if I was travelling further afield I'd be carrying more stuff for puncture repairs, and a few basic tools besides........

fatjel

Veteran
Er I tipped mine upside down on wednesday.. Seemed better than resting it on the mech.
Was on my own and didn't really think about it
Sat on a £5 light on the front and the seat back.
What amazed me was being able to put a marathon + back on pretty much one handed
Heard so many stories of it being impossible to fit them

Pikey

Waiting for the turbo to kick in...
I have tipped mine onto its side to fix the front punctures I had, just found a nice soft grassy bit with a lack of dog toffee; I think that would work fine for rear punctures.

The only other think I thought would work would be to put a clamp on kick stand somewhere on the rear of the frame that you could lower whilst doing the wheel repair on the rear.

BlackPanther

Hyper-Fast Recumbent Riding Member.
I've never had an on the road puncture (Thankyou Marathon Plus tyres.) However, a couple of weeks ago, when I wheeled the Trice out it had a flat. In my side pods bags I have a box section piece of aluminium, which on the Rapto works with the side stand (rests under the seat on the opposite side of the side stand) to lift the front off the ground for wheel removal. On the Trice it rests under a bit of stuck on inner tube on the seat tubing to lift the rear up. The trice has a rear disc brake, BUT (and this is the clever bit) I also have 1/2 inch wide pieces of innertube around each grip solely to stretch over the brake lever to lock both front brakes on to stop the trike moving when removing the rear wheel. It works very well!
BTW the puncture was innertube failure, the M+ tyres still haven't failed me in 30,000 miles!

Trike wheels have stub axles and you can remove the tyre with the wheel in place. All you need is a piece of something to rest the rim on to avoid damage, or just be careful.

My method.
Unhitch the trailer.
Undo the Rohloff click box.
Remove the QR skewer.
Tip the trike on it's right side and then back brake off.
The wheel will now slide out to fix the puncture.
If you can tip it on it's side to do a front wheel, why can you not do the same with the back.
Putting it back in is the reverse.

Top Bottom