Rear Wheel Punctures on a Trike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

starhawk

I have never had a puncture on the road, I have Marathon plus so the likelyhood of a flat is small. But when I had a problem with the rear e-assist I flipped the Trice on its back, a newspaper strategically placed where the neckrest landed. I have contemplated to change the reartyre for a Greentyre, the front tires are no problem but the rear one is a little tricky if you are out on the road. But my Marathon plus have not let me down as of yet.

OP
OP
Smokin Joe

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
You can now BUY a straight inner tube then you can replace the inner tube WITHOUT removing the rear wheel
they do them in different sizes

cost about £11 GBP

smart arse leaving quietly :angel::cheers::cursing::cursing::cursing:

head lowered and grinning to myself

regards emma
I couldn't find them, link please.

mrandmrspoves

Middle aged bald git.
Two things:
1)Marathon Plus on the rear (standard Marathons on the front wheels as less hassle in the event of a deflation) 2) The one time that I have needed to fix a flat on the rear (while still running the Michelin OEM tyres) I did just lie my trike on its side on a grass verge. This was straightforward and caused no damage.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
They are OK, but need careful fitting

If you do not get the overlap correct the tyre can inflate unevenly... this gives a bump every time the wheel rotates

There is no overlap, the ends are butted.

That makes the Gaadis better than earlier designs, which did overlap.

Friction at the overlapping joint could cause the tube to puncture.

One thing against Gaadis is they are comparatively heavy and bulky.

Last edited:

Recycle

Über Member
A recumbent bike is possibly more awkward for rear wheel punctures, especially with the Sram Dual Drive. You can't use Cunobelin's method of propping up the mainframe because you can't use two front wheels for balance. I lay the bike on it's side , leaving the valve seated in the rim and pull most of the rest of the tube out. This works unless the puncture is awkwardly positioned at the valve. Tip! you need to make sure you lay the bike chain side down or the chain gets in the way and you will get oil on the tube. Oil and puncture solution don't work!

I must admit, the Gaadi tube looks good. Thanks for the link! I had investigated these tubes before, but they were then only available with a schraeder valve so unsuitable for a rim sized for a presta valve. Placing an order now!

A recumbent bike is possibly more awkward for rear wheel punctures, especially with the Sram Dual Drive. You can't use Cunobelin's method of propping up the mainframe because you can't use two front wheels for balance. I lay the bike on it's side , leaving the valve seated in the rim and pull most of the rest of the tube out. This works unless the puncture is awkwardly positioned at the valve. Tip! you need to make sure you lay the bike chain side down or the chain gets in the way and you will get oil on the tube. Oil and puncture solution don't work!

I must admit, the Gaadi tube looks good. Thanks for the link! I had investigated these tubes before, but they were then only available with a schraeder valve so unsuitable for a rim sized for a presta valve. Placing an order now!

I used to carry a climbing sling

271d.060.jpg

It is always possible to find a tree, fence, or other furniture to suspend the rear frame from

Pale Rider

Legendary Member

Have a think about how you deal with 'removing' the punctured tube.

I carry a craft knife so can slice it to remove it if I have to.

Another option may be to tie the tube out of the way, perhaps to the carrier if you have one.

I've never had to deploy my Gaadi, only had one puncture in the last four years which my cycling buddies helped me to patch in situ.

Top Bottom