Reasons not to wear helmets

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

twobiker

My department was involved in research some years ago that showed even amateur boxers after a couple of fights showed areas where the blood supply to the brain was impaired
To be fair anyone who wants to ride something capable of insane speeds on todays roads with or without 2" of foam on their head has got to be a bit crackers anyway,

Jezston

Über Member
To be fair if whilst riding you are taking impacts to the head as regularly as a boxer you should probably consider a different hobby!

gb155

Fan Boy No More.
Another good reason, I found out today, was low trees on the side of the canal path

My helmet took a right wallop - that would have Been my head otherwise

I'm not yet a "convert" but .....

Norm

That's not a new reason, I mentioned that hundreds of posts ago, in reference to a branch which was a good 50 cm lower when I was riding with my head down in the rain than it had been in sunshine the day before.

Although that was beside the Thames rather than a canal. :biggrin:

Do many cyclists wear them ?

Do many cyclists cycle on canal banks?

The licensees of a Worcester pub are being hailed as heroes after they rescued a drowning cyclist from a canal.

Richard Wilkins and his wife Wendy, who run the Punch-owned Cavalier Tavern, pulled the cyclist to safety from the freezing waters of the Worcester to Birmingham canal near their pub.

The 37-year-old cyclist had fallen into the water while trying to dodge a fallen tree. His cries alerted a passer-by who ran into the Cavalier for help.

The licensees and a postman who was drinking in the pub rushed to the spot where they found Steven Kingett struggling to stay afloat.

Wilkins said: "It was dark and wet and he was slipping under the surface of the water when we found him. He went under as we approached and he was trying desperately to cling to the side. It took four of us to pull him out.

"My wife rang an ambulance while we got him into some dry clothes in the pub. He was so weak from the cold that he could hardly stand up.

"We've only been in six months and we don't want too many incidents like this."

Kinglett spent two hours at Worcestershire Royal Hospital recovering from his ordeal.

He said later: "I would like to say a thank you to the people that saved my life. If it hadn't had been for them I would not be here today.

"The cold had got to me and I was so weak that I just couldn't pull myself up."

He returned to the pub the next day to thank the couple for saving him.

gb155

Fan Boy No More.
Do many cyclists cycle on canal banks?

I saw 6 today in the course of 8 miles, more than the day before on the road, would that count as many?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom