Reasons not to wear helmets

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
i didnt think it was the core issue. many threads were just about wearing helmets, benefits, reasons for wearing them etc, many didnt feel the pro compulsion should infiltrate every helmet debate. It was an attempt to let each thread have its own topic/agenda

You and some others now admit that you will refer to it on any helmet thread, therefore controlling every thread on the subject. i cannot discuss with like minded people helmet issues without YOUR agenda getting in the way.

As with the recent case with Redlight, you claimed that there was an "agreement" not to discuss compulsion and hence avoided sme difficult points.

You wrere also unable to identify who the mysterious forum members who had been part of this "agreement" to avoid compulsion.

When you originally started these debates you stated unequivocally that you were pro compulsion fo children, and then changed this.

Mr Farley

when you go walking, there is a chance that you will trip up and hit your head, or walk into a lamppost, or get hit by a car or bicycle. As I understand it, the risk of head injury is greater than that from cycling, so if wearing a helmet while walking reduced the risk even by the smallest margin, why not wear one?

Cos that would look silly :smile:.

gb155

Fan Boy No More.
Having not wore one for 3 years, since my car park spill and subsequent bang on the head, I have started to wear one of my own free will and choice, so far, it's not bothered me doing so either !

rich p

ridiculous old lush
1487131 said:
It has always been clear. You remember this?

You are a pro-compulsionist who can't manage it with adults thus far, only with children. Compulsionist none the less though.

Adrian, would you agree that a helmet should be compulsory if you're banging your head against a brick wall?

Dan B

Disengaged member
If we were mean't to bang our heads against things we would have been born with thicker heads
In fact there would be certain mechanical difficulties imposed by the requirement to have a fully fused skull at birth (quote from a friend "just because they rename the 'vagina' the 'birth canal', that doesn't actually make it any wider"). But certainly by the age a child is able to ride a bike their fontanelle should have closed up, and as you will know if you have ever struck your head on a lintel or a cupboard door, an adult skull is capable of protecting against forces far greater than a block of polystyrene can

twobiker

In fact there would be certain mechanical difficulties imposed by the requirement to have a fully fused skull at birth (quote from a friend "just because they rename the 'vagina' the 'birth canal', that doesn't actually make it any wider"). But certainly by the age a child is able to ride a bike their fontanelle should have closed up, and as you will know if you have ever struck your head on a lintel or a cupboard door, an adult skull is capable of protecting against forces far greater than a block of polystyrene can
But what about the cool paint job and all the stickers?

1487131 said:
It has always been clear. You remember this?

You are a pro-compulsionist who can't manage it with adults thus far, only with children. Compulsionist none the less though.

How dare you Sir!

I have openly been calld a liar by David K for saying he was pro compulsion and that I twisted his words by doing so.

Simply proving that his allegatuions are untrue and unfounded spoils all the fun!

Mad at urage

Our heads were designed to bang against things, the skull protecting the brain, with sacrificial tissue (hair and skin) covering the skull. Hair slides, skin heals, cuts and contusions indicate potential for internal injury before the brain actually suffers irreversable damage. Putting extra padding outside the system prevents the appearance of the superficial damage (do that if you wish) but doesn't prevent brain damage and (by preventing the superficial injuries which indicate potential damage may cause actual brain trauma to be ignored*.

This has been seen in boxing (and other MMA) where head guards were introduced (primarilly at doctor's behest) to reduce injury: It's obvious that they do this, so they must be A Good Thing. Actually all they do is prevent nasty-looking cuts and bleeding, encouraging people to continue training/fighting after a heavy blow to the head and so increase the chance of brain damage.

*What proportion of people go to hospital to be checked over after "seeing how the helmet was crushed"? If their head was bleeding, would these people go to hospital?

My department was involved in research some years ago that showed even amateur boxers after a couple of fights showed areas where the blood supply to the brain was impaired

benb

Evidence based cyclist
This has been seen in boxing (and other MMA) where head guards were introduced (primarilly at doctor's behest) to reduce injury: It's obvious that they do this, so they must be A Good Thing. Actually all they do is prevent nasty-looking cuts and bleeding, encouraging people to continue training/fighting after a heavy blow to the head and so increase the chance of brain damage.

Completely true. Brain injuries in boxing, just as in the rest of the world, are largely caused by the brain rattling around and bruising itself against the inside of the skull. The best thing we could do to reduce brain injury in boxing is to get rid of gloves. Gloves brace the wrist and let you punch harder without damaging your hand. Without gloves, a person would be unlikely to be able to punch hard enough to cause a brain injury without breaking their hand. The downside is a lot more blood and cuts, but hey - that's probably what the audience wants!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom