Reasons not to wear helmets

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

david k

Hi
And I have already said several times here that it does not say what you are trying to claim it says, let alone prove. If you have the evidence to prove your claim post it.
It was your evidence, post it again and I will show you the results per hour, or if you remember were it is point me to it

martint235

Dog on a bike
I bet this thread could go on to 30 pages if we try :rolleyes:

I think it's now just a determined attempt to make 30 pages
rolleyes.gif
. Even the popcorn has gone stale.

david k

Hi
not equal at all, and many agree with me not you, just look outside and see how many pedestrians wear helmets.

Redlight did post that the risk is so small that pedestrians should not wear helmets, yet you keep pushing that agenda

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
1487091 said:
It is fairly clear from the fact that Redlight is telling you that his evidence doesn't show what you think it does that, unsurprisingly, this issue is far from agreed. The case for helmet compulsion for occupants of vehicles and pedestrians must be equally strong as it is for cyclists, even if the risks are an order of magnitude greater or less.

Just to play Devils Advocate for a moment. It also shows that stats can be misleading and misunderstood by the layperson.

david k

Hi
1487094 said:
I didn't realise that I am bound by anything that Redlight may have agreed. Read the rather tragic story about how Tony Magdi died when he hit his head on the pavement. A Compulsory helmet law would almost have certainly saved his life.

you referred to what was agreed and asked me, so i answered

david k

Hi
i cannot find the posts, will keep looking, however im sure redlight will confirm that he did post tht wearing of a helmet is not worth it when walking.

My other point is less clear, the stats that he produced showed that walking for an hour is less dangerous than cycling for an hour, if he can publish these again i will prove it again. Also consider that these stats do not remover high risk walkers such as elderly and drunk which represent many more walkers than cyclists of the said group, if these were removed the walking would be proved even safer

david k

Hi
1487099 said:
As I said, Redlight doesn't speak for me. I believe that the case for helmet wearing is as strong for other activities as it is for cycling. I don't care if walking is ten times as safe as cycling or only one and a half times safer, it matters not. There is still a risk and I want to know why you think it should be ignored whilst the other one should be addressed.
I have a theory why you do this but obviously you know your mind better than I do, I am after all not your psychiatrist. I think that it is because you buy into the cycling is a dangerous activity myth. if that is incorrect, please clarify.

So you feel that if there is a risk a helmet should be worn in accordance with my logic? Regardless as to whether you are more or less likely to happen? Just want to clarify before i answer

twobiker

If it is proven that Helmets are just a marketing ploy does any one want to buy a bike helmet ? and, what happens if you walk for more than an hour, sometimes I like a nice long walk do I need to take a helmet with me ?.

david k

Hi
1487101 said:
Not necessarily no. I think I have made it abundantly clear that I am very much against helmet compulsion. The reason why I want to widen the debate to encompass car drivers is to get Jeremy Clarkson on my side in order to get the whole idea kicked as far into the long grass as is possible.

to clarify, i wear a helmet on a bike and not when walking for the following reasons

severity and likelihood

IMO

Severity = An injury is likely to be more severe from a bike than when walking

Likelihood = a fall from a bike is more likely than a fall from walking

therefore i consider an extra control measure of benefit when on a bike, thus i wear a helmet. As the 'risk' is less when walking I dont

david k

Hi
If it is proven that Helmets are just a marketing ploy does any one want to buy a bike helmet ? and, what happens if you walk for more than an hour, sometimes I like a nice long walk do I need to take a helmet with me ?.

is it proven? where? Was the very first helmet brought about due to marketing or need (whether this was ignorant or not)

An hour was just a figure to judge like for like stats, dont get hung up on it as a figure. As i consider the risk very small, it would not matter how long you walked for

adam23

haha i love this thread nearly every quote is funny.

my comment about if wearing a helmet gave you 1% extra safety why dont you wear one may have been taken literaly

its just a saying.

what i meant was if it helped in an accident by the smallest of margains why not wear one.

the comments comparing cycling and walking are just a waste of time unless you walk in the road and average 19mph for

your 20 miles journey haha.

twobiker

If some wants to wear a bike hat so what, THEY feel safer, that is the point, for every report that says its safer you will find one that says its inconclusive, its not an open and shut case like the best biscuit, MALTED MILK, no contest,anyone who says different is not worth an answer,eaten obviously sans helmet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom