Rebuild of a 95 model Giant Allegre Road Bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

packey3

I just acquired a 95 model Giant Allegre. It had and 8 spd Campy rear cassette originally. Currently I only have the frame, fork 42-52 front crank , and new bottom bracket. I gave very little for this frame as a project this winter. How hard would it be to build up with a Shimano Tiagra Groupset. also would it be worth while considering switching to a triple front chainring due to mixed riding both Mountain Roads as well as Hills. also would it be worth upgrading the front fork to carbon fiber or just stay with the stock Aluminum fork.( You gotta love the (90's). For those who are interested this is a double butted Cromolly Frame.
My goal is to build a decent road touring bike.

Here is what I know currently about the frame it is a 58cm cromo double butted frame. It was fitted from the factory with an 8 spd rear cassette and so fortunately the rear drop out spacing is 130 mm. 1 inch steer tube with quill stem. The shifting is down tube indexed shifters.

This bike is a little more spread out then my old road bikes 15-20 years ago were but hopefully this will allow me to spread out a little. I am comfortable with down tube shifting however if I upgrade to a newer group set I will convert over to flight deck shifting.

What would anyone's thoughts or suggestions be. My build is on a small budget and will likely take until May to complete.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
To add Tiagra you'd need shifters, front and rear derailleur plus Shimano wheels and a cassette.

As it's built for downtube shifters you would need to fit a pair of downtube cable stops as well.

Originally it'll have looked something like this which shows it with 7 speed Shimano RX-100 brifters, cable stops fitted, to give you an idea of what it'd be like finished:

View attachment 448387

Last edited:
OP
OP
packey3

packey3

I have my frame now stripped down rear triangle cold bent and realigned for the newer 130 MM rear hubs. I will start the repaint this week if the weather allows. Well at minimum a primer coat to protect the metal will be applied. I am still looking fo drive train parts I have a good BB wheelset and 8 spd Cassette. but that is about it currently.

iluvmybike

Über Member
You may struggle to find a 1" sized carbon fork for a quill stem to fit and it would not be in keeping with bike anyway. Campy cassette won't work with Shimano Sti shifters either

Of all the bits to make out of ally, why would they pick the forks? :rolleyes:
If you decide to go for a newer group, you could do worse than Claris

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
I wouldn't want aluminium forks - especially not 24 year old ones with an unknown amount of remaining fatigue life in them!
Not carbon ones though, they look horrible anyway. It looks like any standard 700c unicrown steel forks with a 1" quill stem will fit straight on, so why not source an unwanted steel hybrid frame/bike for peanuts and rob the forks off it?

Top Bottom