Reccomendations for a grippy tyre please.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Beaker39

I was just sorting out my winter bike the other day and decided it's probably worth replacing my tyres as they are a bit shabby now anyhow. After a recent off on my summer bike that skimmed most of the skin from my shin/calf I have decided that one of the main conditions of my new tyres was that they need to be fairly grippy on damp/wet roads.

I am not bothered about less rolling resistance/speed performance as they are only for winter training just need to be a fairly reasonable price, fairly puncture resistant and grippy.

If anyone can recommend such a beast I would be very grateful.

PS - I'm after 700 x 23's (usually use Mich Pro Race 3's in summer)

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Spesh Armadillo Elite 23's. Have got me through SE London's foulest commuting weather for the past few years now with very little problems.

OP
OP
Beaker39

Beaker39

Generally speaking, one can only have any two of the above three.

I thought someone was going to say that but thought it worth the ask just in case there may have been something new on the market I had missed.

I would go further, on 700 x 23 a puncture resistant tyre and a grippy one are mutually exclusive. For grip you need a softer compound and that allows sharp objects in. I go for the puncture resistance and learn to ride accordingly.

I would agree, I am probably just being over paranoid since coming off the other week. It was a bit of a shock to the system as I was my first fall since coming back to cycling 3 years ago. I suppose it's good to be reminded how fragile we can be every now and again.

Thanks for the suggestions. I think I will chuck the softer ones on for a few weeks to get the confidence up again and then put something more puncture resistant on.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Conti 4 Seasons - bit expensive but very good.

Mich Lithion 2's - less expensive - I now use these for commuting. No problems in any weather.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
I find the Bontrager Racelite Hardcase a strong all-rounder

amaferanga

Veteran
A experienced TTer in my club recommends Mitchelin Pro Grip. I like the Conti Grand Prix's my self, relatively inexpensive, roll OK, grip good for me and touch wood have a low p'ture count for me.

+1 the Pro 3 Grip for grippyness in the wet, but I don't think I got much more than 1000 miles out of the rear and they're not especially puncture-resistant.

I use Krylion Carbon through the winter - quite durable, quite grippy and quite puncture-resistant.

zexel

Veteran
Conti 4 Seasons - bit expensive but very good.

Mich Lithion 2's - less expensive - I now use these for commuting. No problems in any weather.

I'm a bit loath to recommend tyres but you know I'm still using my Michelin Lithion's (originals), bought year before last, done 3,500 miles (in the rain too) on them including 700 miles across France and not a single puncture. Could that be the way I ride or is the tyre that good? Can't complain anyway. Oh and I'm 14st so no lightweight.

Not sure if the Lithion 2's have changed much since the 1's, they look the same but possible a different compound. As a relatively budget tyre they are certainly worth a punt.

Jezston

Über Member
I run 25mm Conti 4 Seasons on my commuter, no problems, but I haven't really got anything to compare with other than my 37mm hybrid tyres!

One question though, must they be 23mm? Sure your rim and clearances can't take 25? Or even 28?

Tynan

Veteran
conti super sport plus here, £25 a pop, quick and so far, touch wood no you know whats in two years other then when running with not much rubber left and one cataclysmic imopact from something sharp and long that disappeared immediately after going right through the thickest part of a new tyre and both sides of the tube

Top Bottom