Received a good tip today

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

EasyCrank

Über Member
So I was out today on a Bristol/Bath cycle in the wonderful warm sun when suddenly my back tyre blows.
241120_10151140163164939_1355700233_o.jpg

I patch up the inner tube in hope that its rideable at least to the nearest shop, only to discover it bulging through this gaping hole in the tyre!

At this point passing cyclist stops to offer a hand. He recommended taking a piece of a plastic bottle lying on the side and wedging it between my inner tube and tyre. I will now always keep a piece of plastic on me at all times on cycles :smile:

Thank you random cyclist!

You like to get your money's worth out of your tyres then! Reminds me of Captain Vimes' boots :biggrin:

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Crisp packet, there's always something in the hedgerow you can use.

Best tip I ever received was to use those little rubber things that are used to seal Grolsch bottles on the strap buttons of your guitar or bass- much cheaper than a straplok system and no more dropped guitar incidents. It's unfortunate that it has nothing to do with cycling, but it is a really good tip.

D

Deleted member 23692

A section of toothpaste tube also works :smile: - it molds to shape better than fizzy pop bottles too

I've never found the need to carry a tyre TBH, but I've also never let my tyres get as worn as the OP's ;)

I do generally carry a 'tyre boot' but preventative maintenance would have avoided the OP's problem :thumbsup:

U

User6179

I was in the middle of nowhere when my tyre tore and had to use a bit of my insole out of my shoes,worked fine but as had been said carry a bit of old tyre with you and on long runs i will carry spare tyre.

Top Bottom