Recent convert to fixed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
stoatsngroats said:
Thanks again Joe......

Not in a club - but possibly able to cadge stuff from generous people...!:biggrin:

Your sorted then:becool::tongue::becool::biggrin:
Good luck, have fun, you will soon be hooked on fixed:biggrin:

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
I'm building up 2 bikes, one will be using a Sturmey Archer 3 speed with direct drive at approx 66 inches. This will be the backup commuter, so I'll have a 50 inch gear to drop into if, fully laden, I can't hack any of it. The other will be a straight forward single speed but flip-flop hub so fixed on the other side. Both cogs the same so probably 66 inches will be good for me.

One frame was an old Dawes I bought for £40 on e-bay, it's steel 501, what they refer to as gas pipe. The other frame is almost identical and was given to me by a guy on YACF. Both frames are fully stripped now and will be sent off for powder coating tomorrow. I'm putting new forks on each, already have one set. You can get the Surly Crosscheck forks in 1" threadless. so I've gone that route and then all bikes will be ahead style stems etc. Seemed easier than trying to source quill bits and neither set of forks, that came with frames, looked true.

The first to complete will be the 3 speed hub gear as I do need a backup commuter and pub/shop bike. The wheels are ordered, Mavic A719 rims, hub gear rear and Shimano 105 front. I have the forks, the stem, the headset. Only got to decide on brakes, bars, seatpost and chainset.

The SS/Fixed I will probably go with lighter stuff, give me more of a chance of making the hills:biggrin:

MacB

Jeez, sorry, 3 bikes, not 2, managed to forget the 9 speed hub geared Surly Crosscheck. That's nearly complete, just awaiting the front wheel.

N+1 can make some scary No's:biggrin:

Joe24

MacBludgeon said:
Jeez, sorry, 3 bikes, not 2, managed to forget the 9 speed hub geared Surly Crosscheck. That's nearly complete, just awaiting the front wheel.

N+1 can make some scary No's:biggrin:

Ill soon have 5 bikes:becool:
2 fixed, one geared, one track, one folder:becool:

OP
OP
4F

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
stoatsngroats said:
Thanks for some inspiration FFFF, I'm getting the bug!

Glad I could help :laugh:. Considering another project now as MacB seems to be getting more bikes than me :sad:

Joe24

FatFellaFromFelixstowe said:
Glad I could help :biggrin:. Considering another project now as MacB seems to be getting more bikes than me :biggrin:

Do it!
A nice fixed built up. One that you will be fine with locking up anywhere and not looking after at all.
Or, an even better fixed then you have now.
Or, a fixed like you have now but with a different gear.

Go on, you know you want to;)

OP
OP
4F

4F

Joe24 said:
Do it!
A nice fixed built up. One that you will be fine with locking up anywhere and not looking after at all.
Or, an even better fixed then you have now.
Or, a fixed like you have now but with a different gear.

Go on, you know you want to;)

Yep but need new shed first as the current one is bursting at the seems with my bikes, wifes, kids and tag-a-long

Joe24

Yep but need new shed first as the current one is bursting at the seems with my bikes, wifes, kids and tag-a-long

So is mine:laugh:
I only have half a shed, theres the lawn mower on the other side.
The lawn mower has 2 bikes on, theres 2 frames leaning against the lawn mower, and the fixed leaning against the shed wall.
I keep saying i need a bigger shed, but my parents just dont beleive me. They might suggest getting rid of a bike:eek::biggrin:

OP
OP
4F

4F

Joe24 said:
So is mine:laugh:
I only have half a shed, theres the lawn mower on the other side.
The lawn mower has 2 bikes on, theres 2 frames leaning against the lawn mower, and the fixed leaning against the shed wall.
I keep saying i need a bigger shed, but my parents just dont beleive me. They might suggest getting rid of a bike:eek::biggrin:

LOL my shed is a whopping 12' x 8' and fit to burst :biggrin: Last count was 9 bikes (only 2 are mine - so far :biggrin:) plus tag along ,lawn mower, rotovator etc etc

MacB

LOL my shed is a whopping 12' x 8' and fit to burst :smile: Last count was 9 bikes (only 2 are mine - so far :smile:) plus tag along ,lawn mower, rotovator etc etc

Ha, got you there then FFFF, my shed just has gardening stuff in it. Whereas the luxury of a twin garage, which I have never, and never will, put a car in, is sheer bliss. Looks a bit bare at the moment, only the 6 complete bikes and two frames. Will be 9 once the new builds are complete. My big headache at the moment is working out how I want to position my workstand. I think I'm going to have a bike workshop specific corner. So probably put a peg board up to hang the tools etc, a worksurface, some cupboards and move my vice and stuff over.

I really must take some piccies, just in case I'm not rubbing it in enough:biggrin:

OP
OP
4F

4F

MacBludgeon said:
Ha, got you there then FFFF, my shed just has gardening stuff in it. Whereas the luxury of a twin garage, which I have never, and never will, put a car in, is sheer bliss. Looks a bit bare at the moment, only the 6 complete bikes and two frames. Will be 9 once the new builds are complete. My big headache at the moment is working out how I want to position my workstand. I think I'm going to have a bike workshop specific corner. So probably put a peg board up to hang the tools etc, a worksurface, some cupboards and move my vice and stuff over.

I really must take some piccies, just in case I'm not rubbing it in enough:biggrin:

MacB, Sorry I could not read that as you are on my ignore list ;)

MacB

MacB, Sorry I could not read that as you are on my ignore list :biggrin:

impossible to ignore a rival, I've latched on to your speed and mileage as a target and there's no escaping:biggrin:

By the way, did my 20 mile again today and beat the next milestone, 15.03mph average!!! Still did it in the one gear, 67.1 inches, am definitely loving not having to think about changing gears. Monday will be the acid test on the commute. I'll be trying a couple of the hills in a 20 inch higher gear than before:ohmy: To be fair I won't hesitate to change gear rather than walk. Think it may take me a couple of weeks to crack single speed for the ride.

OP
OP
4F

4F

MacBludgeon said:
impossible to ignore a rival, I've latched on to your speed and mileage as a target and there's no escaping:biggrin:

By the way, did my 20 mile again today and beat the next milestone, 15.03mph average!!! Still did it in the one gear, 67.1 inches, am definitely loving not having to think about changing gears. Monday will be the acid test on the commute. I'll be trying a couple of the hills in a 20 inch higher gear than before:ohmy: To be fair I won't hesitate to change gear rather than walk. Think it may take me a couple of weeks to crack single speed for the ride.

Nice one well done, next stop average 16 :biggrin:

MacB

Nice one well done, next stop average 16 :biggrin:

Bloody amazing this SS stuff, went out at lunchtime and did the first half of my commute and back. I would have sworn there were a couple of hills I'd struggle with, they weren't easy, but you go up them so much faster. It hurts but not that much more than an easier gear and it's over so much faster.

Set a new best for 20 miles, 15.43mph average, it's getting closer, you'll have to up your workrate:biggrin:

OP
OP
4F

4F

MacBludgeon said:
Bloody amazing this SS stuff, went out at lunchtime and did the first half of my commute and back. I would have sworn there were a couple of hills I'd struggle with, they weren't easy, but you go up them so much faster. It hurts but not that much more than an easier gear and it's over so much faster.

Set a new best for 20 miles, 15.43mph average, it's getting closer, you'll have to up your workrate:biggrin:

Nice one, on my 100 I did a few weeks ago on my fixed I beat my previous record on my geared bike by 60 mins :biggrin:. (I would add however that the 100 last year was solo and the one on the fixed was with rocket man dudi so this would have helped as well) :biggrin:

Top Bottom