Recent convert to fixed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
Having recently converted my old 1970's Dawes to fixed I have to say it's chuffing great ;) and I have not been out on my geared bike since :biggrin:

That is all.

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
FatFellaFromFelixstowe said:
Having recently converted my old 1970's Dawes to fixed I have to say it's chuffing great ;) and I have not been out on my geared bike since :biggrin:

That is all.

Nice one:thumbsup:
Riding gears will never feel the same:becool:

OP
OP
4F

4F

Just got to get my gearing right as I have been using the smaller ring of a double crank and have just purchased a nice RPM chainset and new BB to fit at the weekend. I found going down hills was the hardest bit to get used to but now have worked out how to relax the legs and wahey.

Joe24

FatFellaFromFelixstowe said:
Just got to get my gearing right as I have been using the smaller ring of a double crank and have just purchased a nice RPM chainset and new BB to fit at the weekend. I found going down hills was the hardest bit to get used to but now have worked out how to relax the legs and wahey.

What gear do you have on?
I started with 65"(46/19) and with my new bike i have gone to 48/18(72") which is nice. Alot faster down hills, faster on the flat and not bad up hills.
I have FSA crankset on, but thats a rebranded RPM one, and its a very good one. The chainrinng looks and feels strong.
Oh, and as for going down hills, just relax your legs. Get the feel for the pedals pushing your legs around by going slow and just relaxing your legs. You can then sort of do what is like freewheeling as you go along in a group, but your legs are still moving. Your just not putting any effort into turning your legs

OP
OP
4F

4F

Well at the moment I am running 42 / 16 and the new chainset is a 48. I will give 48/16 a go but think 48/18 may be a better compromise however this is flat Suffolk so you never know. First time I went down a hill it felt horrible and I could not go over 16 mph but 2 weeks in and I have hit 28.5, mind you my legs were spinning at about 150 rpm ;)

OP
OP
4F

4F

User3143 said:
Have a look on youtube for some vids, it's alright at red lights and you don't have the trouble of clipping in again.

I have got the hang of getting my foot in the right position by holding the front brake and leaning forward whilst 1 foot is clipped in but yes I agree I can see how it would help. Only forgotten twice not to try and freewheel ;)

Joe24

Dont do 48/16! Thats 81", thats a pretty big gear, even in a flat place. In london they are running mid 70s, in 72" when you get used to it you can cruise along at 19mph/20mph, and on the flat sprinting i have got up to 32mph. And, keeping up with a chaingang in this gear is fine aswell.
82" would be what i would use when doing a TT, so using it every day i think would be pretty silly.
Someone who comes out on club rides has 78" and hes very very strong, and has huge legs.
Run 48/18(about 2" more then the gear you have on now, you will notice the difference) and you wil do better. I went down the hill i live on doing 35 and i hadnt even warmed up and wasnt trying:eek:
Learn to track stand aswell:becool: Best things you can do, the fact you can go around without unclipping, move off from lights without really thinking too much about clipping in means its alot more fluid:becool:

Joe24

User3143 said:
When I started to learn I looked down at the front wheel as I turned it while pulling on the front brake and then holding it there with my legs.

I found it a lot easier looking down at the ground at the front wheel, but once you get the basics right it gets better and better! Can now do it sitting down and with one hand (but only for a couple of seconds)

Try not to use the front brake was what i found, just use back and forward pressure on the peddles. Much much easier. Looking down at the front wheel is good.
I learn to do it sitting down no handed, and can hold it for ages aswell, due to the fact i really do have too much spare time in 6th form, and took my bike and and practiced.
Can do about 3/4 of a no handed backways circle aswell:becool:

Joe24

zimzum42 said:
I run 49/16, don't see a problem with it myself....

Why such a big gear:wacko:
Someone i know rides 102" on the road, and hes huge. He goes on the faster club rides on it, and before hills he powers off infront, then zig zags up the hill on it. Apparently a few times hes had problems where hes stalled on the hill, had to get off and push, and had his feet unclip and fell into nettles:laugh:

OP
OP
4F

4F

User1314 said:
Since the second week of Feb I've commuted 800 miles on my fixed. Absolutely love it. Got to the stage now where I'm dissappointed on getting to work / arriving at home as I can't cycle anymore. And my knees have become all lumpy as muscles / ligaments strengthen.

Planning to do a hundred on it in a couple of weeks.

Really is great.

Still can't Trackstand though.

Well special thanks to Dudi for loaning / giving me his old fixed wheel so I could try it. This is now the 2nd week (300 miles so far) and I think it was day 3 after I had got a bit more confident on going downhill that the enjoyment factor really kicked in. I am seriously tempted to do the Suffolk Sunrise 100 mile in May on it as well :headshake:

zimzum42

Legendary Member
Joe24 said:
Why such a big gear:wacko:
Someone i know rides 102" on the road, and hes huge. He goes on the faster club rides on it, and before hills he powers off infront, then zig zags up the hill on it. Apparently a few times hes had problems where hes stalled on the hill, had to get off and push, and had his feet unclip and fell into nettles:laugh:
Singapore is pretty flat and has long stretches where I'd never have to stop, and I like to go fast!

Hmm, I've not been out on my fixed yet. Another couple of hours of tinkering yet. I've set it up with 46:15 which I think is about 85". D'you think that's too big a gear for a fixed beginner. Keep in mind I also like going fast. Very fast!

Top Bottom