Rechargeable or battery lights - ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

davidphilips

Veteran
Some of the so called sealed lights with non replaceable batteries can actually be opened and a new battery fitted some videos on Utube show how.
If i had only one bike perhaps i would just fit the lights roley poley mentioned? But just use rechargeable lights and find mine great have binned a few over the years that have gone faulty and even a few that stopped holding the charge,my regime is to put lights on charge after every use and all my lights (have a few) even if they have not been used every 2 weeks.

Alex321

Veteran
For me, absolutely rechargeables. The cost and inconvenience of batteries replacing batteries far outweighs the need to recharge regularly.

Though admittedly, the last time I used battery lights was when I used to commute previously about 25 years ago, and I imagnie they have improved rather since then.

I fitted a bike light in 2008 and use it every day. Never had to replace or recharge batteries and the light is brighter than ones used by most other riders I meet.
It's a kind of magic.

Alex321

Veteran
I fitted a bike light in 2008 and use it every day. Never had to replace or recharge batteries and the light is brighter than ones used by most other riders I meet.
It's a kind of magic.
There is nothing magic about it. You are obviously talking about the third option, which is dynamo lights.

But then you are powering the light, which obviously must cost some effort, even if miniscule with modern technology. But dynamo lights, unless they have a secondary battery, stop when you do.

Even with modern technology, I am surprised they are brighter than the ones used by most others - unless of curse you are only talking about urban riding.

There is nothing magic about it. You are obviously talking about the third option, which is dynamo lights.

But then you are powering the light, which obviously must cost some effort, even if miniscule with modern technology. But dynamo lights, unless they have a secondary battery, stop when you do.

Even with modern technology, I am surprised they are brighter than the ones used by most others - unless of curse you are only talking about urban riding.
Dynamo lights used to stop when the rider stopped, back in the 1970's. They also used to slip on tyre walls and blow bulbs.
Fast foward to 2021 and high efficiency dynamo hubs, super efficient LED lamps with auto sensor and Standlight technology have been in use for the past 2 decades.

German standard dynamo lamps such as B&M are rated at 80 lux ( lumen per sq m) and put all of their output down onto the road. A lot of powerful off road units dont use road optics and light up the scenery so are rated in lumens.
Most riders dont use these powerful off road systems.

I can switch the light on and off but I dont notice and difference. I can understand why time trialists and racing cyclists dont use dynamos.
Audax endurance riders are split between modern dynamo and battery systems but their rides are logistically pre planned. Dynamo users need no battery management strategies.

Last edited:
Reactions: mjr

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
As an all year round commuter I have the definitive answer.

AAA's.

My regular commute lights on my current bike and the previous incarnation have been AAA's. These are perfect because they have a dependable run time so can be recharged in good time and should the worst happen and I do get caught out when unexpectedly on the road I have a backup set of spare batteries that can replace one front light and one rear light so I never have to risk being without.
I do have usb rechargeable lights, but these are only for special less critical occasions.
The AAA/AA system has got to be the most dependable and sustainable system there is?

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly

AAA's.

My regular commute lights on my current bike and the previous incarnation have been AAA's. These are perfect because they have a dependable run time so can be recharged in good time and should the worst happen and I do get caught out when unexpectedly on the road I have a backup set of spare batteries that can replace one front light and one rear light so I never have to risk being without.
I do have usb rechargeable lights, but these are only for special less critical occasions.
The AAA/AA system has got to be the most dependable and sustainable system there is?
+1. 2x Hope Vision Ones (AAs) for the front and a Smart or Wilko rear (2 x AAAs). Commuting for twenty years (plus the occasional commute since) & many, many other night rides including well over a hundred FNRttCs. Reliable, fault-tolerant & never let me down.

I have 3 lights on the back and front

2 are rechargeable and one battery
Normally I use the rechargeable - I assume that if one runs out the other will be OK until I get home
the other is battery and it there as backup

If I need to ride on busy roads after dark - whcih is unusual - I can always go fullBlackpool and use all 3 - plus the rubbish one in the reflector

generally I charge them ever 3-4 rides

but rechargeable is the way to go - but have a plan B

Alex321

Veteran
There is no definitive answer, so you can't have it.

AAA's.

Well apart from the equally dependable and sustainable USB rechargeables that I use, or the equally dependable and sustainable dynamo system that MichaelW2 uses, possibly 😄

Tenkaykev

Guru
If you have one bike that does everything the most practical, environmentally friendly way is quality modern dynamo hub.
I swapped out the front wheel on my Brommie for the dynamo version ( SP Dynamo hub, rim tape, wiring harness and dynamo lights for £150 ) and think it’s brilliant. The Dynamo hub is really compact compared to the hub on my wife’s road bike but does an excellent job.

Sorry, maybe I didn't make myself clear. I meant rechargeable AAA's. Unlike @StuAff I standardized front and rear lights to take the same battery. Only want to be carrying one type of spare battery :okay:
OK - I see
I did try rechargeable AAA (or AA) - I generally found they lost charge quite quickly if not used
And I tend to ride in daylight so they can go a while before being needed - then don't work when I need/want them

Probably better if they get used frequently but that doesn;t match my usage patterns

How about a battery lamp, and a set of batteries of a suitable size which are themselves rechargeable - then you have the best of both worlds and only need to bin the batteries at the end of their lives, not the light plus installed batteries.
This.
Built in battery lights are generally to be avoided in my opinion for all sorts of reasons.
The main/only use I can think of for them is when touring where you might be away from a mains supply for a fair old while if freecamping and USB lights are easier to recharge. Also when touring you usually won't be riding in the dark much.
Rechargeable AAAs and preferably AAs are best, with a good charger that will slow charge to avoid damaging/shortening the life of the batteries.

Top Bottom